2001 British training ration - any info?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
cap174
eBay name: chapr_7219

2001 British training ration - any info?

Post by cap174 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello everyone! :D
I just scored another strange ration off of eBay, and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on it. It's a 2001 chequer foods training ration - it seems just like a trimmed down British ration. One strange thing is that it has KFC tissues - maybe they ran out of unbranded ones? It also comes with some other cool items, like strawberry gum, jam, chocolate chip pudding and Heinz BBQ beans.
Thanks for looking!

Test
Last edited by cap174 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On an impossible mission to get every ration ever :D

Looking for Vintage, rare and just plain strange items

vespa

Re: 2001 British training ration - any info?

Post by vespa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm

It looks like a mix and match of civvie and army rations left overs put together, it doesn't look official to me, I remember Duncan's chocolates, they come with the rations, noodles has no nutritional value whatsover, the plain rations without any graphics on it are genuine army, KFC wipes defintely wouldn't be official, the rest I have my doubts, we stopped carrying tins in the 90s, the box doesn't look official.

it could either be a fake or a genuine trial pack for evalluation.

Never heard of Chequers rations, Chequers being the name of the Prime Minister offical residence in the countryside, other than that nothing like, I am familiar with Vesty the main contractor for British Army rations.

Not saying it doesnt exist, it does look a bit cobbled together.

vespa

Post by vespa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Here's a link to the history of early British forces rations, The first thing I looked for was the official MOD stencil over the box, which appears to be missing and the mix and match of the contents got my suspicions up.

If you do buy historical rations again, this link should help you to indentify the genuine article.

http://www.forces80.com/rations.htm

cap174
eBay name: chapr_7219

Post by cap174 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Yeh, I think it may be a mix of civvie and military stuff. However, Chequer Foods is a legit military contracted (if you look at pictures of late 90s ORPs the drinks are made by them), and they also seem to make foods for the public as well. They changed they're name a while ago, but I looked on the new website and it seems that they mostly just make little ketchup packets and things like that. Maybe they ran out of unbranded napkins, and had to substitute? The napkins are probably manufactured by them as well.
On an impossible mission to get every ration ever :D

Looking for Vintage, rare and just plain strange items