Customs Destroyed my Croatian Ration!

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
SamSpade1941

Re: Customs Destroyed my Croatian Ration!

Post by SamSpade1941 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Honestly while it may be a small example, this is government run amok trying to protect everyone from themselves. I remember several years ago being searched thoroughly because I made the mistake of buying some candied dates while overseas and being stupid enough to declare them when I reached the United States. Somethings simply should not be regulated .

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:43 pm

While I agree in general the government has run amok and there needs to be a lot less of it, I think in our community's case the fix is pretty simple. USDA should NOT consider ALL shipments as commercial unless they have evidence the person is selling/reselling or goes over the weight limit. If the shipment is for private consumption, it should be exempted as the rest of the code seems to support. It will take money, people with power, and/or an organization to get the rules changed. Unfortunately I do not qualify in any of those areas myself but I hope some others do.
Last edited by mikeoverhere on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

LoriJean8591

Post by LoriJean8591 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Unfortunately, I think (and I am not getting political, just realist), this whole thing is made even worse with the trade wars going on right now with different country. So if they (gov) don’t get their tariffs, they don’t give a crap.
So many bigger fish to fry, like importers of meth, fake brands using real brand names and illegal importation of good like human and wildlife..
It sucks the little people (tax payers) are getting kicked in the rump..

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:49 pm

SamSpade1941 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40 pm
...I remember several years ago being searched thoroughly because I made the mistake of buying some candied dates while overseas and being stupid enough to declare them when I reached the United States.
BadDates.jpg
:lol:

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:37 am

The USDA does not care about tariffs, this issue has nothing to do with them and they have an entire division who's job it is to deal with infections, contamination, and diseases being imported into this country. It is the Veterinary branch that is at the heart of this issue, and they do not care about drugs. The smuggling interdiction division and Customs and Border Protection are only the enforcement arms, not the regulators.

CakeZ

Post by CakeZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:02 pm

MREMountain is under the impression that shipping MREs from Europe is perfectly legal. I had a similar issue with an ORP. They need to tell people their products are not shipped from the USA, where they say they are located.

Joey61301

Post by Joey61301 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:08 am

I agree, weird though they let my ORP through no problem.

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:15 pm

CakeZ wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:02 pm
MREMountain is under the impression that shipping MREs from Europe is perfectly legal. I had a similar issue with an ORP. They need to tell people their products are not shipped from the USA, where they say they are located.

Agreed! Their posted US address and their comment that international shipping would be significantly more expensive gives the impression that they are shipping from the US. They are absolutely wrong about being able to legally ship rations with meat into the US from outside. They need to state that on their website.

I had also ordered a couple rations from MREMountain thinking they were shipping within the US. I was quite nervous after finding out they were coming from the Netherlands. Fortunately they were not intercepted and I won't order any more from MREMountain unless the product does not contain meat.

Something off topic but I ordered two British ORP's based off the updated 08/2018 menu descriptions MREMountain had posted. My rations were 09/2018 and the contents were almost completely different than the posted description. I wrote them and asked to either return the rations or get a refund, but no reply ever came. Be warned. I am saddened because I cannot risk ordering more rations to obtain the components I seek.

Joey61301

Post by Joey61301 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 am

Wow that's quite scary, where else can we obtain foreign rations legally.

RSMRE

Post by RSMRE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:55 am

Joey61301 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 am
Wow that's quite scary, where else can we obtain foreign rations legally.
in the B/S/T part of the forums here or eBay from a domestic seller
Sellers/Traders I recommend: ViperGTS x2, Salty Croc, donjuan_21,Sturm44,Ration_Man