Customs Destroyed my Croatian Ration!

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
CakeZ

Re: Customs Destroyed my Croatian Ration!

Post by CakeZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Joey61301 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 am
Wow that's quite scary, where else can we obtain foreign rations legally.
I'm really hoping someone entrepreneurial finds out how to get an appropriate import permit, bring in large volumes, and do whatever the USDA wants to make those imports legal. If its even possible.

For now, I look for domestic sales.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

The problem is the products have to be inspected by USDA or have the certification to be exported to the US. Not only do I doubt military suppliers in foreign countries would bother with getting it, some rations are put together with components made from different sources so it would involve multiple certifications/inspectors. USDA doesn't even seem make an exception for Canadian IMPs that have products labeled USDA approved (cause they were made here), as discussed in ForeignMRE's video from when they got visited. I have the same hopes CakeZ but I just don't think it will happen. I think the key change necessary is to make the USDA treat products imported for personal consumption not treated as commercial. There are already rules and exceptions for personal consumption but for some reason, they ignore them. It would take expensive legal action to enact that change, or perhaps Congressional representatives/senators.

ForeignMRE did say they were going to look into getting the necessary importation permits and see what they could do but the shipments must still be properly marked by the shipper, and the shipper must have the USDA inspection certification.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

CakeZ

Post by CakeZ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:55 am

mikeoverhere wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm
The problem is the products have to be inspected by USDA or have the certification to be exported to the US. Not only do I doubt military suppliers in foreign countries would bother with getting it, some rations are put together with components made from different sources so it would involve multiple certifications/inspectors. USDA doesn't even seem make an exception for Canadian IMPs that have products labeled USDA approved (cause they were made here), as discussed in ForeignMRE's video from when they got visited. I have the same hopes CakeZ but I just don't think it will happen. I think the key change necessary is to make the USDA treat products imported for personal consumption not treated as commercial. There are already rules and exceptions for personal consumption but for some reason, they ignore them. It would take expensive legal action to enact that change, or perhaps Congressional representatives/senators.

ForeignMRE did say they were going to look into getting the necessary importation permits and see what they could do but the shipments must still be properly marked by the shipper, and the shipper must have the USDA inspection certification.
I agree on your latter point. Here's to hoping.

But I'd totally understand why it might never pass - what with Mad Cow and the like. But still, man. Makes me feel like a big ol sigh.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Me too. I was into this hobby a decade ago and left it as there was little access to reviews and more foreign rations. Then earlier this very year, I got back into it. So many rations now available to me. So many great reviewers! Then USDA came along and totally rained on the parade. Suddenly I am cut off and they are dropping the hammer on our entire hobby and community. Companies and private sellers/buyers both shut down and threatened with prosecution. WHY!!!!?!?!! Why now!? I just got back in, and they yank me out just months later! This was one of the things that made me happy and staved off some of my personal depression. Naturally so many people enjoying it that the government felt they had to jump in and crush us all. I feel they are being overly heavy handed and bypassing some of their own rules. Private consumption is exempted, but they ignore that and treat everyone like a commercial importer! That's just so wrong. I wish I was rich or influential so I could fight to change this.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

DBCT

Post by DBCT » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:33 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:15 pm
CakeZ wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:02 pm
MREMountain is under the impression that shipping MREs from Europe is perfectly legal. I had a similar issue with an ORP. They need to tell people their products are not shipped from the USA, where they say they are located.

Agreed! Their posted US address and their comment that international shipping would be significantly more expensive gives the impression that they are shipping from the US. They are absolutely wrong about being able to legally ship rations with meat into the US from outside. They need to state that on their website.

I had also ordered a couple rations from MREMountain thinking they were shipping within the US. I was quite nervous after finding out they were coming from the Netherlands. Fortunately they were not intercepted and I won't order any more from MREMountain unless the product does not contain meat.

Something off topic but I ordered two British ORP's based off the updated 08/2018 menu descriptions MREMountain had posted. My rations were 09/2018 and the contents were almost completely different than the posted description. I wrote them and asked to either return the rations or get a refund, but no reply ever came. Be warned. I am saddened because I cannot risk ordering more rations to obtain the components I seek.
Well shoot, I just ordered 4 foreign MREs from them last night thinking that they were based in the USA for the exact reasons you mentioned. I paid the extra premium they seem to charge because I thought they would be shipping from within the US. I'm kinda pissed now.

Bugler43

Post by Bugler43 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 pm

MRE Mt. knows about it but still keeps selling stuff like nothing is wrong. Had that happen three months ago with the same reply and said they would make it right. Nothing yet. Shame. They offer great items but I can't take the chance anymore. I was really getting into this hobby.
Bugler43

[/quote]I emailed MRE Mountain, and they said
Joey61301
1:21 PM (9 hours ago)
to mremountain

Hello I received the Croatian ICR as a gift. United States customs destroyed all the meat products, we were not aware it would ship from outside the U.S. How do we avoid customs destroying the meat legally?

Thank You,
Joey61301

MRE mountain
1:46 PM (8 hours ago)
to me

Hi, yes i can see if I have one. No they shouldn't be doing that as MREs for personal use are allowed in shipments less than 50 lbs. I'm not in the country at the moment and will settle it soonest
[/quote]

Bugler43

Post by Bugler43 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:30 pm

For sure! Not good business. No warnings on their site. I ordered two specific German MRE's menus, received two random menus. Called, was told they figured out the mistake and it was the vendors fault in Europe, so keep them and enjoy! NOT COOL!

Agreed! Their posted US address and their comment that international shipping would be significantly more expensive gives the impression that they are shipping from the US. They are absolutely wrong about being able to legally ship rations with meat into the US from outside. They need to state that on their website.

I had also ordered a couple rations from MREMountain thinking they were shipping within the US. I was quite nervous after finding out they were coming from the Netherlands. Fortunately they were not intercepted and I won't order any more from MREMountain unless the product does not contain meat.

Something off topic but I ordered two British ORP's based off the updated 08/2018 menu descriptions MREMountain had posted. My rations were 09/2018 and the contents were almost completely different than the posted description. I wrote them and asked to either return the rations or get a refund, but no reply ever came. Be warned. I am saddened because I cannot risk ordering more rations to obtain the components I seek.

DBCT

Post by DBCT » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Bugler43 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Mre Mountain is very clearly intentionally misleading. My guess is that the only reason they don't get a bad rap everywhere is because they are probably providing free or greatly discounted rations to the popular Youtubers in exchange for free advertising.

After looking at their site again, the fact that the call all non-US rations foreign rations is absolutely designed to make them sound like their shipping operation is based in the US. Even if one of the owners of the site is based in the US, they should be more up front that it's more of a drop shipping operation, at least as far as international rations go.

My Belarus ration just got here Friday sealed and in perfect shape. I have 3 other rations they shipped from the Netherlands that have already gone through customs in the US and should be here Tuesday - so still crossing my fingers.

I was looking through some Amazon reviews and saw someone posted a picture of a Russian ration that customs apparently took the mains out of before forwarding on to Amazon, so just because something is listed as in the US on Amazon Prime still doesn't mean it's in tact.

Staubsauger

Post by Staubsauger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am

This whole situation is pretty sad. Guess we should just go back to eating Mc Donald's and make our overlords happy.. :(