Canadian Rations Upcoming Updates.

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Smitty

Canadian Rations Upcoming Updates.

Post by Smitty » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Hello,

I've been following the contracts for IMP19 (2019) procurement, and doing a little digging here and there on our tender system.

Based on a tender that was awarded in November 2018, I see reference to "Pizza Pasta, Smoke Meat with Demi-glace Sauce, Southwestern Chipotle Chicken". I'm going to bet the Demi-glace makes a comeback soon :) (https://buyandsell.gc.ca/cds/public/201 ... BSU003.PDF)

In addition, I inquired about a Facebook post I saw regarding 3-in-1 coffees being put in more menus. It's official (ly heartbreaking): 19 of the 21 menus will have the 3-in-1, after 95% of the respondents said they wanted to see it more. Us "Expresso Coffee" fans are left with only 2 menus containing the goodness.

In the same conversation, they also said that 2019 may be the last year of the iconic IMP packaging, and IMP20 will be waterproof with the possible end goal of having heater bags (Canadian for: FRH) included.

Another bit of news:

A new ration seems like it's in development. Nicknamed the Mountain Cold Weather Ration (MCWR) iin RFI's and Tender documents. Its apparently intended to have freeze dried mains, and will be a 24 hour ration. Exciting.
(https://buyandsell.gc.ca/procurement-da ... -036-75282)
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

kman
Site Admin

Re: Canadian Rations Upcoming Updates.

Post by kman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Those are some good links - thanks for sharing! I've long been a fan of digging through the US MRE solicitation documents for MRE info so now it's great to have a source for the same IMP information.

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:19 am

Smitty! Right on. Great info! Thanks. I like the lunch bag look of the IMP's :cry: but I think it does seem inconvenient to have to logistically carry/supply the FRH's separately. So, I definitely see that change happening.

As convenient as those 3-1's are... if you're a fan of creamer and sugar. Just leave the coffee so lacking for the espresso or black coffee drinker.

For me, I'm excited about the that Smoked Meat with Demi-glace and the Chipotle chicken. Pizza Pasta? Meh. Is it just me or the pasta entrees always the ones I save till last?

MILNEWS_ca

Post by MILNEWS_ca » Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Good catches - thx for sharing.

This just out today re: the latest round of entrees:
...The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement to purchase retort pouch meals to be delivered to an Assembler as part of Individual Meal Packs (IMPs):

i. Baked Beans;
ii. Beans and Wieners;
iii. Breakfast Patties;
iv. Hash Browns and Bacon;
v. Sausage and Hash Browns;
vi. Scalloped Potatoes and Ham;
vii. Beef Macaroni;
viii. Beef Ravioli;
ix. Chicken Pesto Pasta;
x. Spaghetti and Meatballs;
xi. Beef and Vegetable Stew;
xii. Chicken and Vegetable Stew;
xiii. Chili;
xiv. Indian Chicken;
xv. Poutine;
xvi. Shepherd's Pie;
xvii. Smoked Meat in Mustard Sauce;
xviii. Pulled Pork;
xix. Fruit Cocktail;
xx. Sliced Apples;
xxi. Sliced Peaches;
xxii. Sliced Pears;
xxiii. Date Square; and
xxiv. Tortillas ...

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm

MILNEWS_ca wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Good catches - thx for sharing.

This just out today re: the latest round of entrees:
...The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement to purchase retort pouch meals to be delivered to an Assembler as part of Individual Meal Packs (IMPs):

i. Baked Beans;
ii. Beans and Wieners;
iii. Breakfast Patties;
iv. Hash Browns and Bacon;
v. Sausage and Hash Browns;
vi. Scalloped Potatoes and Ham;
vii. Beef Macaroni;
viii. Beef Ravioli;
ix. Chicken Pesto Pasta;
x. Spaghetti and Meatballs;
xi. Beef and Vegetable Stew;
xii. Chicken and Vegetable Stew;
xiii. Chili;
xiv. Indian Chicken;
xv. Poutine;
xvi. Shepherd's Pie;
xvii. Smoked Meat in Mustard Sauce;
xviii. Pulled Pork;
xix. Fruit Cocktail;
xx. Sliced Apples;
xxi. Sliced Peaches;
xxii. Sliced Pears;
xxiii. Date Square; and
xxiv. Tortillas ...
-date square sounds super good!
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 am

Wow exciting news in the canadian ration realm. C as nt wait to see them!!!! Or try them!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

Salmon19

Post by Salmon19 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:12 am

Cutting back down to 18 menus? Interesting decision. Let's see how it works out with all the other proposed changes. I'm excited to see how the Beef Ravioli turn out. I'm hoping as good as the Beef Macaroni :mrgreen:

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 am

I like or would like them all but the Poutine, with the rubbery cheese. Do you guys really like that one? I like fresh Poutine but I just can't get past the ration version.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 am

I actually do but only because I go into knowing it isn’t Poutine. I loooove me Poutine, but this potatoe chicken stew is an alright meal, imo
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue May 28, 2019 10:31 am

Salmon19 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:12 am
Cutting back down to 18 menus? Interesting decision. Let's see how it works out with all the other proposed changes. I'm excited to see how the Beef Ravioli turn out. I'm hoping as good as the Beef Macaroni :mrgreen:
I believe the tender is for all retorts. A shame really because it’s showing nothing really new on the dessert front. Sad face.

I believe the reason we’re seeing 18 is: The other two that have already been tendered (Pizza Pasta and Southwest Chipotle Chicke), and there is a double on the breakfast.
All the best, Gents.