The USDA is after me for ordering French Rations - NEW 5/21 UPDATES! This is happening! To everybody :-(

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

The USDA is after me for ordering French Rations - NEW 5/21 UPDATES! This is happening! To everybody :-(

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:33 pm

I did a search and see I am not the only one but today I got a letter from the USDA. They monitored eBay transactions and saw that I had ordered some French RCIR's from overseas. Letter says it's against CFR code to import certain meats from France due to possible contamination with harmful disease or pests. They want me to contact them so they can come take and destroy the meat. They do not allow you to destroy or discard the products yourself. 1) The government is spending resources to spy on my transaction and track me down? 2) The meat is in cans which have all bacteria killed during the canning process which I thought takes care of diseases and parasites. 3) It's in a military ration and you know a country is not going to issue any military rations that will make their soldiers sick. And finally 4) I already ate it all so good luck.
Attachments
IMG_4378.jpeg
Last edited by mikeoverhere on Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

mikeoverhere

Re: The USDA is after me for ordering French Rations

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:09 am

No, this is not an April Fools joke. Here is the second signed page. Someone real had to sign it, it wasn't a robo signature or digital print. Good luck, all.
Attachments
IMG_4379 2.jpeg
Last edited by mikeoverhere on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:38 am

Heh, yeah I totally thought you got me good with a prank. Sorry, guess it’s the date of the post.

ugh. This absolutely feels...wrong. I mean I know they are essentially taking things quite serious for legit reasons, and possibly legal ones, but it bugs me that they monitor individual sales of goods and track you down like that.

Like...there’s got to be more important fish to fry than a can of cooked beef, and more important reasons to monitor civilian purchases.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 am

Yes, April Fools day is so bad, I really should just ignore the internet for the entire day before returning.

Again, I understand why there are these Federal laws, but these are canned meats, and it blows my mind how much resources are being devoted to dealing with my case and little ole me. I am just a small time buyer who purchases MRE's from around the world for personal experience. Some agent had to monitor the eBay transactions, go to eBay and make them give up my personal information (who didn't notify me that they did), send a signed letter to me, and prepare to send an agent from Washington state all the way to my small town of Fairbanks Alaska (meaning we are so small, I would be surprised if there is even an USDA office here, and travel to Alaska and back is quite expensive) to pick up the dangerous pate, luncheon meat, or main to confiscate, then destroy, then file a report about it all. Really? Sending an agent just to take my can of pate? They know I did not purchase in bulk or resell. Are they just making an example out of me? Has anyone else received these letters? I'd like to know. I would also like to know if they sent the eBay seller a cease and desist letter, and if anyone has been punished or had their business/account shut down over it. Does this have anything to do with MRE Zone shutting down (which was the eBay seller in this particular auction)? I ordered this shortly before MRE Zone seemed to close down.

At least I know I am not the only one angered and disappointed by this. I fear for other buyers of "dangerous" French RCIR's now. :roll:

I will be calling the office, explaining how I have long since consumed the products, and ask why this would apply to canned meats that have been cooked to kill all bacteria, and then in order to cooperate in the future and not break any laws - I will be needing a list of every meat or food product banned from import from every country that they exist for, and I need the list to be specific as to each product.

SNiiP3R

Post by SNiiP3R » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 am

They are going after EVERY ration you buy, not just french. This is only the begining.

Mackeson

Post by Mackeson » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 am

I just hope they believe you when you tell them you have eaten them Mike.

I can just imagine a petty-bureaucrat thinking 'oh yeah right that's convenient, I bet he has got them hidden somewhere'...

In the end the only thing they can prove is their current absence from your property?

Mack

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:16 pm

Mackeson wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 am
I just hope they believe you when you tell them you have eaten them Mike.

I can just imagine a petty-bureaucrat thinking 'oh yeah right that's convenient, I bet he has got them hidden somewhere'...
I can sense a colonoscopy coming for you, lol

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I just had a colonoscopy, and they also did an endoscopy at the same time. I told them I wanted a discount if they used the same camera in both ends! :x

I really do need a specific list of all banned food products from all countries because I order rations from world wide.

I tried to call the office today, no answer, left a message. The phone number at the bottom was incorrect but I got it off the margin. Also, the cell phone number is not valid or cannot be called from my mine for whatever reason. Waiting for a return call. Have several questions...

I get the feeling this is just the rising tide and the tidal wave is coming, followed by a tsunami of letters to every buyer and seller on eBay. This is USDA's "Smuggling Interdiction and Trade Compliance" division. I think there are more important and dangerous things being smuggled to go after than canned food. :roll:
Last edited by mikeoverhere on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Wow. Another thing our goverment sticks their nose into. (No, i'm not anti-Trump or goverment, but they go too far. I'll support whatever commander in chief gets elected, but not always agree. My state has their finger in every pot possible)
I fully understand why they would, but in-date rations are basically sterile, so... Glad to hear its all been consumed, hope they leave you alone. Was it the ostrich menu?
To quote "Independence Day" "Do you think they actually spent ten thousand dollars for a hammer and thirty thousand for a toilet seat?" Lots of wasted $$ flying around.

Staubsauger

Post by Staubsauger » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 pm

That's really messed up. I wonder if this is the beginning of a major move against selling of MREs on ebay or you just got really unlucky. I'm also curious if this will affect any of the various mre stores or stay limited to ebay. Please keep us updated on how this plays out.