The USDA is after me for ordering French Rations - NEW 5/21 UPDATES! This is happening! To everybody :-(

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Re: The USDA is after me for ordering French Rations - NEW 5/21 UPDATES! This is happening! To everybody :-(

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:53 pm

SNiiP3R wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 am
No that’s wrong. You can only import so called shelf stable meat products for personal use and without any permits, if a foreign facility has been certified by the USDA. In order for that to happen, a foreign manufacturer has to allow USDA agents to inspect their facilities, chances of that happening are zero to none.
Not only that, but even if you get the product from a foreign manufacturer that meets the inspection requirements and marks the shipment properly, you as the importer must have the proper import permit. Again this is because they consider the shipment commercial, even if it's for private consumption. See my post on "USDA Animal Products Manual" that explains the requirements, or contact your APHIS agent who can explain it. The only way to get around this is by bringing it in through checked luggage, and it must still be declared and shown to customs for inspection who will determine what will be allowed through. That was told to me by USDA.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

CakeZ

Re: The USDA is after me for ordering French Rations - NEW 5/21 UPDATES! This is happening! To everybody :-(

Post by CakeZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:09 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:53 pm
SNiiP3R wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 am
No that’s wrong. You can only import so called shelf stable meat products for personal use and without any permits, if a foreign facility has been certified by the USDA. In order for that to happen, a foreign manufacturer has to allow USDA agents to inspect their facilities, chances of that happening are zero to none.
Not only that, but even if you get the product from a foreign manufacturer that meets the inspection requirements and marks the shipment properly, you as the importer must have the proper import permit. Again this is because they consider the shipment commercial, even if it's for private consumption. See my post on "USDA Animal Products Manual" that explains the requirements, or contact your APHIS agent who can explain it. The only way to get around this is by bringing it in through checked luggage, and it must still be declared and shown to customs for inspection who will determine what will be allowed through. That was told to me by USDA.
Fantastic. Here's to hoping we don't all get chased down and fined for this.

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:00 am

An MRE reviewer just got a visit from USDA. The crackdown continues.

https://youtu.be/gaynAEWfU-s

EasyMre

Post by EasyMre » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Very interesting thread. I purchased some international mres a couple weeks back so we'll see how that goes.

How are things going these days? Have you encountered any issues?
Read my blog Subscribe to Steve1989mreinfo
  • My favorite MRE YouTuber.
  • "Let's get this on a tray. Nice!"

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm

EasyMre wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:01 pm
Very interesting thread. I purchased some international mres a couple weeks back so we'll see how that goes.

Yeaaa same here, ordered about 10 different international rations, here’s to hoping for good luck lmao.

As long as the government bastards don’t touch my rations, they can send all the letters they want. My response to these letters will consist of something along the lines of “lick my balls”
Always looking for international ration sellers in the USA!

EasyMre

Post by EasyMre » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Rms2324 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm
As long as the government bastards don’t touch my rations, they can send all the letters they want. My response to these letters will consist of something along the lines of “lick my balls”
That has be the most diplomatic response to a USDA letter I can think of! 8) :wink:

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 pm

EasyMre wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:46 pm
Rms2324 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm
That has be the most diplomatic response to a USDA letter I can think of! 8) :wink:
:)
Always looking for international ration sellers in the USA!

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:37 pm

EasyMre wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:01 pm
For me no, but I stopped importing. I had a personal visit with an agent, not just a letter. Rations were confiscated and destroyed. When I first posted this, other people and businesses were getting letters but most just don't say anything about it. Then later some did but I haven't heard of any letter or agent action lately. One reviewer got hit but seems to be back to usual seemingly without consequence. Newly imported rations with meat area still being consumed, reviewed, and sold. Seems like we flattened the danger curve but who really knows since almost no one talks about it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:40 pm

True enough. I still see posts from people saying they got rations ripped apart, but lots are still coming into the country. The most recent one was a case of RCIRs posted on reddit, but no letter received.

Personal experience for Canada, I've seen a few of us Canucks have had items refused entry via Fedex and DHL, and letters sent saying that it violated our new (2019) import laws. Could just have been folks getting better training or a function of the import brokerages.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

Post by Kays1968 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:34 pm

My experience: I've been ordering internationally for about three years. Never had a problem until this time last year, when everyone was reporting problems. I had three successive shipments confiscated by customs in about a six week period. The three orders totaled about $650, but some of that was refunded by a generous seller. After these incidents, I stopped ordering internationally for about two months. Then, I tested the waters with a single RCIR, and when that was successful, I again ordered a single from the same seller. Since then, I have not lost anything else to customs.

Knock on wood.....

My observations, which may or may not have merit:

1) For whatever reason, customs had a bug up their ass for a short period of time, when everyone got hit, hard. I've worked government, and this seems to be the way things happen. Some dictate comes down and is followed to the letter until the next new thing takes precedence.

2) Small orders pass where large orders get hit. All three orders that were raped were large-ish boxes. Since then, I have ordered a dozen or so single RCIR's, about twenty Lithuanians two at a time, half a dozen single ORP's and various single Chinese, Singapore, Russian, etc. It seems to me that singles get through where large boxes don't, so I'll pay a little more to do it that way.

3) Having said that, I just received a slightly larger box of multiple items. It came through safely, so I will probably risk another larger one in the future. I'm putting some faith in the possibility that the insanity has passed.

4) Finally, it's all a crapshoot anyway. The USDA/customs laws have, do, and will exist, and we take a chance anytime we order overseas. I tend to take a balanced view, and factor the costs and losses as an overall gain, because I'm willing to pay for my hobby. Ultimately, for me, it's entertainment money, and any good accountant will tell you entertainment is always a loss.

Best of luck to all of you, and don't lose hope.....