Are Russian rations ok to eat?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Hardtack

Are Russian rations ok to eat?

Post by Hardtack » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:23 pm

I've seen various Russian rations on Amazon listed as being fulfilled by Amazon. Does that mean they have been approved for import to they U.S.? What do you guys think about the safety of these rations?

SNiiP3R

Re: Are Russian rations ok to eat?

Post by SNiiP3R » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:41 pm

No, only the rations produced in the US are approved by the USDA. Everything else is not. Are they safe, yes. Are they legal? No.

DonJa

Post by DonJa » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:31 am

The Russian rations are fine. They're rated for 2 years (standard storage conditions), and will probably have most of that shelf life remaining, if you get them off Amazon. I've eaten a couple at the 36-month mark, and there's no difference from a fresh one. Chocolate was fine and jam was still sterile. Take care to inspect the foil on the meat / porridge / vegetable containers, which can separate if the box has been beaten up; maybe don't eat the contents if that's happened. Otherwise, go nuts. Russian rations are designed to be stored for long periods in, and sustain troops in cold temperatures, so typically the salt content is lower, while fat content is higher.

vespa

Post by vespa » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:02 pm

I've got 3 Russian rations to try out, extra information is useful to learn more about them. :)

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Bought mine from ebay so was skeptical too, but so far so good. It "expires" in 2 months, (2 yr lifespan) but was packed well and would likely be good for much longer. Here is the review of what i have tried so far:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9967
There seem to be many many different russian rations that are designed for a specific use. Which one are you thinking of picking up?

No clue on the import legality or how the seller obtained it. Customs had no issues, but that is not always the case since they do contain non usda food items. The seller declared it as survival/camp food on the outter label so i was surprised customs didnt open it.

prado67
eBay name: Praddo83

Post by prado67 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am

Hardtack wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:23 pm
I've seen various Russian rations on Amazon listed as being fulfilled by Amazon. Does that mean they have been approved for import to they U.S.? What do you guys think about the safety of these rations?
As a Russian I can tell you a terrible secret of how to do so when eating a Russian ration everything went well and there were no consequences. As I do: I adjust my cotton jacket and hat with earflaps,then lay down on the ground balalaika, take out from my bosom a bottle of vodka, drink it myself. After that I call to myself the nearest of bears standing nearby, I get from bosom the second bottle of vodka and I drink it together with a bear. After that, we sing with him songs about Kalinka-Malinka, shoot from a Kalashnikov, after that, the bear falls asleep drunk on my lap. And only after that I begin to eat rations, washing down his third bottle of vodka. Only such ritual will save when eat Russian ration. :lol:
Dear forumites, upon purchase of rations I don't bear responsibility for passing by a parcel of customs authorities of the USA,Canada and other countries. You make all purchases at own risk. Please consider it at the order of rations :wink:

Hardtack

Post by Hardtack » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

:shock: :D :D Thats the best advice I've heard in a long time! A true Russian!

prado67
eBay name: Praddo83

Post by prado67 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:19 am

I'm glad you liked it. And remember, that's the way to do it! How is the situation with the bears, is there?
Dear forumites, upon purchase of rations I don't bear responsibility for passing by a parcel of customs authorities of the USA,Canada and other countries. You make all purchases at own risk. Please consider it at the order of rations :wink:

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:19 am

Yep, as long as you apply the same rules as you should to any ration regarding smell, package integrity, etc. I've eaten probably 30+ Russian rations now over the past 5+ years, and have never had any sickness. In that time, I've only come across 2 or 3 components that were bad (usually due to a micro-hole), and it was apparent as soon as the package was opened. I wouldn't have any reservations about consuming Russian rations. :)