Are there subscription box services for rations or MRE’s?

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
ghosthunter242

Are there subscription box services for rations or MRE’s?

Post by ghosthunter242 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:23 am

I am by no means new to MRE’s, but, lockdown and life post-Covid life thought me so much more via YouTube.
My mother in law gave us her freeze dried emergency food kit which was interesting . This led to me pulling out my parents’ old stash of brown bag and tan bag MRE’s and loose mains and components from their Y2K preparations. The food was not treated kindly with several years of Fresno summers and a few years in Wisconsin. I further abused them by keeping them in a camper in the Pacific Northwest another five or so years. They were mostly fine. I ate some, made my kid eat some, grossed my wife out and gave the rest to a friend (who had been binging on the same YouTube videos) to share with his gaggle of kids.
Moral of the story, I think I figured out what I’d want to ask for Christmas from family and it’d be a ‘blind box’ subscription service of rations or military MRE’s from domestic and foreign sources. I could not find a single source. A reputable seller has a mystery box of components but that’s not what I’m thinking. Does anyone know of ANYTHING close to what I describe or imagine?
Thanks so much!

ViperGTS

Re: Are there subscription box services for rations or MRE’s?

Post by ViperGTS » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:53 pm

I'm sure there are others but the one that comes to mind is from minotaurtradingcompany.com. They have a few different options. There are tons of vids of it on YT. The owner of the company is here on mreinfo as well.

ghosthunter242

Post by ghosthunter242 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:10 pm

Thank you so much.
I’ll check out the link later.
I had the chance to stop by a small surplus store in Aberdeen Wa this last weekend. Besides modern MRE’s, he actually had 2 what he called ‘lerps” from the Vietnam era.
I’m not sure they were that old or more than accessory packets. I’m new to the nuanced details of LRP vs MCI and all the others. The brown plastic bags were small and lighter tha I expected. $50 a pop for an accessory pack is too rich for my blood. Have a good day.
Hoping to hit a gun shop up north. Last year they had individual components loose for sale

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:09 pm

Subscription boxes, I haven’t seen anything out there that seems like it’s worth it, imo

Depending on what long range patrol he was selling, LRP (Lurp) go back to the Vietnam era, it’s not too out to lunch at $50, though there are definitely deals to be had. They are typically freeze dried and can hold up a lot longer as long as the packaging isn’t compromised.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

ghosthunter242

Post by ghosthunter242 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:03 pm

I can assuredly say they were not LRP’s after watching several videos. I believe it was an MCI accessory pack.
The dark brown package was was krinkly and the lettering was difficult to read if not fully absent.
I can appreciate what Minotaur is doing and do not want to diminish any value to their product but after watching waaay too many unboxing and reviews, I’m looking for something else. I’d looked at their site before but had forgotten which site was what.
Thank you for the link and the input.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:06 pm

I have done several lrp vids recently and there are plenty of others that have done so as well.
I haven't done a vid of the canvas bag original one, because I only have one and it's in rough condition.

If it is an mci accessory pack with cigs, $50 is actually a good price, they sell on ebay for 80+ pretty consistently.

But, if no cigs, it's a rip off

This company sells tons of individual components and mre if that is more what you are looking for
https://theepicenter.com/

ghosthunter242

Post by ghosthunter242 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:01 pm

For what it’s worth, I got hold of the surplus store owner and asked him to send me pics of the objects I looked at. If I can I will post the pics and prepared to be wrong on what I think they are. It’s been a couple hours so far and nothing yet.

ghosthunter242

Post by ghosthunter242 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:15 am

BB0B89DD-7B8C-4E16-A5BA-866E56A5EAC8.jpeg
26ABB8E6-C172-4253-ABB7-EC0B32D6CF91.jpeg
0F6AD7D1-0032-4374-9681-0B1A7BD1673D.jpeg
4360F065-E288-45C9-80C6-96C0C1EC5FF5.jpeg
Here are the pics from the owner.
I do not believe this is what I held, but, feel free to educate me what we are looking at.

If anyone needs these, I can get you info.
I do not know how he feels about shipping since I didn’t ask, but, I’m happy to get the store’s info if that’s ok.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Those are all appear to be 1978-9 LRP. 76 to early 78 had the same color bag but the writing was different. Typical ebay price nowadays is around $40 each. There was a sort of similar bag color around 83, but the writing was horizontal. How much is he looking for??

If you want to see the contents:
Rock did a 79 here:

I did a 77 a while back (just so you can see the different writing):

Steve has done many 70s lrp:
Last edited by ViperGTS on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghosthunter242

Post by ghosthunter242 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:51 am

https://www.nwsoyouronestopgearshop.com/

Northwest surplus in Aberdeen Washington.

Owner said $40 or $50 but cool dude. Might be flexible.