Vietnam era PIR

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: Vietnam era PIR

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Looks a ton better than I expected - I wonder if there are any of these left in existence. Since it was all dried or freeze dried they should be in decent shape if any survived.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 am

I don't recall seeing any of these while I was in-country. I inserted a lot of "little guy" teams into Cambodia but oddly enough never once thought about what they ate while out there. Since it was a MACV/SOG operation, I'm confident in hindsight that they were given PIRs. But I can't verify it.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:01 am

donaldjcheek wrote: NATICK labs determined that it would take up to five years and at least five million dollars to develop a suitable ration.
Mr. Baker then spent $200 of his own money and developed the PIR in his own kitchen in less than eight weeks.
ImageGovernment efficiency at it's finest

donaldjcheek

Post by donaldjcheek » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:16 pm

It occurs to me that this ration wouldn't be hard to reproduce. Everything in it was a commercially available, off-the-shelf purchase. Pre-cooked dehydrated rice is marketed in every US grocery store as Minute Rice. Almost every US city has an Asian market where you can buy dried Asian vegetables such as seaweed, mung beans, carrot strips, Chinese cabbage, garlic & sesame, etc. as well as things like bonito flakes, powdered soy, miso powder, pickled plums and honey-sesame candy. I saw dried cuttlefish and dried Chinese mushrooms in my supermarket aisle. Thi bo kho (Vietnamese dried beef) is a little hard to find, but IIRC, it wasn't too different from carne seca, available in most Latin markets, or the American jars of dried beef, once you wash out the salt. Small dried shrimp aren't hard to make if you have a dehydrator, and can be found in some Korean markets. So, 14-16 oz of rice, a little judicious packaging, a plain tagless teabag, a gallon size plastic freezer bag, and presto! I think you'd have a pretty good recreation of a PIR.

And no, I ain't looking for dried mutton.

Addendum: In 1998, Conrad Baker had one of the original PIR packets tested by a food lab; it was still safe to eat after more than 30 years storage in his garage.
"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry."

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:22 am

donaldjcheek wrote:It occurs to me that this ration wouldn't be hard to reproduce. Everything in it was a commercially available, off-the-shelf purchase. Pre-cooked dehydrated rice is marketed in every US grocery store as Minute Rice. Almost every US city has an Asian market where you can buy dried Asian vegetables such as seaweed, mung beans, carrot strips, Chinese cabbage, garlic & sesame, etc. as well as things like bonito flakes, powdered soy, miso powder, pickled plums and honey-sesame candy. I saw dried cuttlefish and dried Chinese mushrooms in my supermarket aisle. Thi bo kho (Vietnamese dried beef) is a little hard to find, but IIRC, it wasn't too different from carne seca, available in most Latin markets, or the American jars of dried beef, once you wash out the salt. Small dried shrimp aren't hard to make if you have a dehydrator, and can be found in some Korean markets. So, 14-16 oz of rice, a little judicious packaging, a plain tagless teabag, a gallon size plastic freezer bag, and presto! I think you'd have a pretty good recreation of a PIR.

And no, I ain't looking for dried mutton.

Addendum: In 1998, Conrad Baker had one of the original PIR packets tested by a food lab; it was still safe to eat after more than 30 years storage in his garage.
Living in CA, and especially LA, I have access to at least a few specifically Vietnamese supermarkets. I'll check for the Thi bo kho next time I'm there.

DPerdue-12

Post by DPerdue-12 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Here are some videos of PIRs:
"Montagnard Soldiers Unload PIR Rations..."

(the PIRs are shown at around 2:34 minute-mark on this video)

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:56 am

https://www.specialforces78.com/wp-cont ... tter-1.pdf

On page 3 there's a picture of Baker with a box of PIRs.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:06 am

Also of note, I noticed on some detailed pictures of the PIR cartons, you can see: "Packed by Yogi Shokai" which incidentally is also the company that made the first run of the SOG knife that Baker developed.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 pm

To complete the loop, I had started a newer thread after finding some photos of them.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10843&p=76641&hilit=PIR#p76641
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:08 pm

wow - interesting