A Recent Ration Revival

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Smitty

A Recent Ration Revival

Post by Smitty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Just wanted to send greetings from Canada.

I've essentially gotten into the hobby, if you were to call it that, as a teenager when I use to receive IMPs from my uncle. You could also find them occasionally in the surplus stores. I would tear into them with intrigue and over time I developed quite a fondness for the peanut butter and the space bread. These were all severely outdated, but I didn't know better. 1990's Mac and Cheese was quite expired when I opened it. That was perhaps the worst experience I've had with a IMP.

In anycase, I kind of got the hook stuck back in by watching reviews on YouTube. Specifically Steve1989. Just something special about his characteristic presentations that has me binge watching them. Been putting a lot of hours in at the office (sometimes until 0100) and he's kept the quiet at bay and brings some laughs to an otherwise boring night writing technical reports.

These videos definitely got me craving some IMPs again, so I'm now the proud owner of 3 cases of 2016-2018 lunch/dinners. Excited to try them out! I might take some photos or make a quick video to share but I'm sure I'd make for dull viewing. That and how can you compete with all the awesome reviewers out there?

Right arm. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum, and looking forward to taking it all in.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Re: A Recent Ration Revival

Post by BTemple » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Welcome from the far far east coast of Canada!
I was just the first person to ever review the Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya IMP on my channel last month, got a couple cases from 2018!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Salmon19

Post by Salmon19 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Hello and Welcome. Always nice to see more Canadians getting into rations.

vespa

Post by vespa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 am

Welcome to our Canadian cousins :D

I've just recently acquired 2 Canadian ration packs, not tasted them yet. The packaging is intriguing brown paper bag with a silvered inner pouch.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Gotta say, these things are a lot more enjoyable than the older ones I've had.

I've tried the 2016 - Menu 20 - Meatballs and Gravy. Was pretty enjoyable. I tried my hand a filming it, which I might share, but the video work is a little meh. We'll see. I liked it. It wasn't amazing but it was satisfying. The meatballs reminded me of Campbell's Chunky "sliders", and the apple sauce was too sweet for me. Speaking of sweet. That cornbread (or corn cake as I started calling it) was a surprise. I was expecting a hamburger bun, but I got a very moist little square cake (sugar was the first ingredient). Also, Tea? Come on. I'm a coffee guy (Sorry BTemple, but Coffffeeeee is life ;) )

I've got the 2016 - Menu 13 - Hamburger at the ready for today's meal. Excited to see expresso in this one, and the coffee crisp is delicious. Little box of Canadiana.

All the best.

Smitty.
Attachments
P1010669.JPG
P1010639.JPG
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:58 pm

Smitty wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:59 pm
Gotta say, these things are a lot more enjoyable than the older ones I've had.

I've tried the 2016 - Menu 20 - Meatballs and Gravy. Was pretty enjoyable. I tried my hand a filming it, which I might share, but the video work is a little meh. We'll see. I liked it. It wasn't amazing but it was satisfying. The meatballs reminded me of Campbell's Chunky "sliders", and the apple sauce was too sweet for me. Speaking of sweet. That cornbread (or corn cake as I started calling it) was a surprise. I was expecting a hamburger bun, but I got a very moist little square cake (sugar was the first ingredient). Also, Tea? Come on. I'm a coffee guy (Sorry BTemple, but Coffffeeeee is life ;) )

I've got the 2016 - Menu 13 - Hamburger at the ready for today's meal. Excited to see expresso in this one, and the coffee crisp is delicious. Little box of Canadiana.

All the best.

Smitty.
I'm a teacher who never drinks coffee... a true unicorn. Hahaha
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

DonJa

Post by DonJa » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:54 am

Welcome, Smitty. Canadians are welcome, as are pictures of rations- always.

As for reviews, they're mostly a matter of opinion. Steve1989 is very good and professional. I'd also recommend The Crazy Russian Hacker, Emmy Made in Japan and The Workman.