I'd Like To Buy Non US Rations From Members

Buying, selling, and trading rations
Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

I'd Like To Buy Non US Rations From Members

Post by Ruleryak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 pm

This will probably be an ongoing thread for a long time but like many of you I've got the goal of eventually eating and keeping an MRE-style ration from every country that makes one. This has been pretty much only a pipe dream until I found this site and got the hope-jumpstart I needed to get back to this quest. American stuff shows up on eBay all the time, but most overseas rations have yet to come anywhere near the US version of the site or they show up when I'm not looking or in auction format (I know it's weird to use an auction site only for "buy it now" items but I hate the whole uncertainty and wasted time factor with auctions and wont touch them). The foreign eBay sites and other local shopping sites don't offer to ship this way 9 times out of 10 and the 10 time they want an arm and a leg over what would be reasonable.

Other than the many many modern-day military and civilian MREs I've snagged for camping and fishing trips, Burning Man (I've never felt better in the desert than when I eat only MREs), general preparedness, etc I've only been able to add a few non-standard items to my collection. At the moment I've really only got some 1980's US MREs and some 1960s C-Rations to display as collectibles and I'd really like to change that. I've only recently gotten into the collecting aspect, but collect other militaria and have always likely collecting cold-war-era items so here's hoping I can branch into MREs in the same way.

Long story short - I'm having pretty much zero luck so far. In a perfect world I could find two of everything I want in one big order from someone here in the US but the world isn't perfect. I can sometimes find a case or pallet of something, but if I ever want to reach my goal I'm going to need to limit my purchases to two per country so I can eat one (and take detailed pics of course) and display the other. Three if the price is right so I can display one sealed with one open to show all the components and still eat one. I figure some people on this board have to have extras of some of these and I'm not looking for whole cases so go ahead and sell me the ones you like the least or have been sitting on the longest - I don't care!

Looking For:
  • Australia - Combat Ration (One Man) - CR1M
    Australia - Patrol Ration (One Man) - PR1M
    Great Britain - 24 Hour Ration Pack (any menu, even the Sikh one!)
    Germany - EPA (German Einmannpackung)
    Italy - Combat Ration
    Netherlands - 24 Hour Ration Pack (with or without Pac Man)
    France - RCIR (Combat Ration Individual Reheatable)
    Russia - IRP (24-Hour Individual Food Ration)
    Norway - Arctic Rations
    ETC!
I've seen Serbian (or Croatian, I forget) rations for sale before too but don't know what they're called. Same goes for Argentinian rations and a bunch of other countries. Let it be known that this list is not complete and that you should PM me with whatever you have for sale regardless! If you want cash, I'm no slouch and will get back to you and pay you very quickly if the price is right. I'll also buy US stuff if it's older than 20 years (so pre 1990) or rare like HDRs (yellow or salmon, I have zero at the moment so the salmon ones are just as appreciated) or FSRs with Hooah bars (that are still called Hooah bars not First Strike Bars). Well, I'd actually probably buy a bunch of the current FSRs too so in any case, please PM me! Or feel free to help in any other way you feel like.

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Re: I'd Like To Buy Non US Rations From Members

Post by Cracker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

A Dutch 24 hourpack is not an ration, it's only breakfast and lunch. Entrees are seperate.

I'd be happy to send you some, but it's simply non-do-able.. US customs.. and the other way around.. EU customs.. simply..... well, you get the point.

They don't like meat or dairy stuff within their borders..
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

I see people trading back and forth overseas on here quite a bit so I'm wondering why you're saying it's not doable. Are there particular countries where it's an issue moreso than others? What about official websites shipping rations overseas with no customs warnings - is there a risk that the order will be seized or destroyed? I was pointed in the direction of http://www.sovietarmystuff.com by Big_jo earlier today and plan on making an order there for Russian and Ukranian MREs so here's hoping that they make it here if I do order.

Thanks for the heads up on the Dutch ration - I had seen on the info side of this site the article on that ration also mentions that entrees are separate, but still want them. I'd still want one or two for collecting purposes so here's hoping I can figure out how to get them into the states with a minimum amount of hassle.

Any of you that do ship back and forth across the Atlantic: what are your thoughts/tricks/tips? Most of these rations are already very expensive, then factoring high shipping to traverse half of the planet to get them to me ups the price so to think that I could end up paying an arm and a leg for something that may never arrive is not an attractive thought. It won't stop me though!

mtime7
eBay name: mtime7

Post by mtime7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

I have shipped rations to the EU and it seemed like if I kept them under 4 pounds they would make it through customs. I tried to send a case once and they cut the case open and shipped it back to me..

scottymonger
eBay name: scottymonger

Post by scottymonger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Sending meat an dairy products between the U.S. and the E.U is gonna be tough. Sure, some get through customs, but the costs involved are also an issue.

IMHO, shipping between the U.S and Canada is a better option. I have sent and recieved MRE items (including entrees) to/from Canada several times, with no issues.

This might be a way to acquire soem International rations, that are hard to find in the U.s.

Scotty

housil

Post by housil » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Ruleryak wrote:I see people trading back and forth overseas on here quite a bit so I'm wondering why you're saying it's not doable. Are there particular countries where it's an issue moreso than others? What about official websites shipping rations overseas with no customs warnings - is there a risk that the order will be seized or destroyed? I was pointed in the direction of http://www.sovietarmystuff.com by Big_jo earlier today and plan on making an order there for Russian and Ukranian MREs so here's hoping that they make it here if I do order.
Importing meat, dairy and poultry is always prohibited by US and EU customs.
Sendind any items into is playing the lottery. It may work, but don´t complain if you loose your whole shipment (like I)!
In best case, they just send it back, worst case they dump it and charge you for.

That sovietarmystuff store is sending from Ukraine. Ukraine isn´t a member of EU, so they don´t related to our customs regulation. To me they have no customs warnings as actualy everybody should know by himself what is allowed to import in his own country and I guess they doesn´t want to scare away a possible customer :wink: