Buying/selling/trading MREs - please read

Buying, selling, and trading rations
kman
Site Admin

Buying/selling/trading MREs - please read

Post by kman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:57 pm

Welcome to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum!

Please note - MREInfo.com is just an information site run by a private rations enthusiast - I don't buy or sell rations commercially. I have my own personal collection and am always happy to talk about buying/selling/trading rations with other individuals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to get that out of the way because believe it or not, I get a number of emails from individuals wanting to contract with me for supplying rations to other groups and companies in other countries. While I'm flattered, I'm afraid my own little rations collection wouldn't supply very many groups for very long. And especially seeing as most US MREs are marked "Commercial Resale Prohibited"...and that it's the US Govt/Military making the markings, I don't want to ask for that kind of trouble. :-)

I also receive a lot of requests along the lines of "where can I buy British/French/<insert country here> rations?" Those requests are welcome here, too, and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

DangerousDave

Re: Buying/selling/trading MREs - please read

Post by DangerousDave » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Kman, I have a great 1992 issue U.S. Lensatic Compass I'd like to sell you. The Tritium is all worn out, but if you have a flashlight with 2 "duty" batts, it will glow in the dark, for 2 minutes and 27 seconds. :roll:
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:39 pm

I have some swampland down in FL here that I would like to part with as well...:)
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 am

Hey Kman, I recently got some info from a friend of mine who was in the Army criminal investigations for several years before he was discharged last fall. According to "official guidelines" (and please everyone take this with a grain of salt, not necessarily accurate) it is only a crime to sell them if you are a member of the armed forces on duty and in uniform and selling cases of them from your supply room or the back gate of your base. He told me there are a lot of mis-conceptions about the regulations but he served 12 years in the CID and he does not recall a single incident of a soldier being in trouble for this. Basically they'll bust a service member if they catch them but they don't go looking for it. Myself I'd still follow Kman's advice and not ask for trouble. Not to mention if someone is trying to sell you a case of MREs from the early 1980s in a different shaped cardboard box than what we have now, well....... :roll: not like you can sue the Army if you get sick.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks for the information, rationtin440. That's pretty much what I suspected - Army CID probably does have much better things to do than go around hunting down soldiers selling a case or two on eBay. But when you see someone on eBay or Craigslist posting a picture of their garage full of hundreds of cases of fresh MREs, I wouldn't be surprised if that makes them want to take a peek at the auction.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:20 pm

You're very welcome kman! While I have some serious issues with the government's crackdown on people trying to prepare for wtshtf by stocking MREs that they have acquired legally, anyone who'd sell them on ebay like you mentioned is either extremely dumb or some kind of plant/quisling/government agency trying to ensnare survivalists or militia groups. I recall during the latter part of my service time in the 1990s, there were efforts to monitor what known militia groups were acquiring from gov't auctions but nothing major came of it.

kwiklot

Post by kwiklot » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Great info kman

6redline3
eBay name: 6redline3
Location: Somewhere in the middle of 413 billion barrels of crude, N.D.

Post by 6redline3 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, it's been a million years since I've posted on here ( starting and maintaining a construction business) but I'd be willing to pay a premium for some Pangea wsb. I know, the kind that most preferred to toss. Just broke into some stash from 04-05 and still find these little square treats create a literal carnival on my taste buds! The search continues.....
"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for His country. He won it by making the other poor dumb Bastard die for His country." General George Patton Jr.

Thomas Fernaays

Post by Thomas Fernaays » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Hey Kman I looked into there is no law that would make it illegal to buy or sell MRE’s the legal but may be how you obtain it. For example you take some cases from the base and sell them the will charge the one who took the rations the buyer may be fined but they cannot arrest you.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Thomas Fernaays wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 pm
Hey Kman I looked into there is no law that would make it illegal to buy or sell MRE’s the legal but may be how you obtain it. For example you take some cases from the base and sell them the will charge the one who took the rations the buyer may be fined but they cannot arrest you.
The first part you probably have right. But the part about "they cannot arrest you" makes me think of the term "receiving stolen property". The internet tells me this means it's only a crime "to purchase or accept property that you know or believe was obtained through theft". But then again, I Am Not A Lawyer...take my legal advice at your own peril.