Meal Kit Supply Canada

Buying, selling, and trading rations
Canuck67

Meal Kit Supply Canada

Post by Canuck67 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Just out of curiosity, anybody on this forum ever try the "Meal Kit Supply Canada" MREs? They carry the "Sopakco Sure-Pak 12" line, but in a specialized version tailored for the Canadian market. As I mentioned before on another thread, their choice of menu items seems somewhat limited, at least compared to the original U.S. version of the Sure-Pak 12.

You can check them out at www.mealkitsupply.com

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:56 pm

I didn't know they put poutine and back bacon in an MRE! ;)

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:57 pm

It sorta looks like a place for over-runs. They offer for sure only 4 entrees, the rest are variable.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:08 pm

I received a review and some pics from a Canadian site visitor a while back. I'll get a proper review web page put together, but for now, here are some of the pics.

Overall, they seem to be just the same as Sopakco Sure-Paks that are repackaged in a different case - everything else looks the same as the US version.

MealKitSupplyCanada case
Image Image

MREs
Image Image Image

MRE Contents
Image Image

Chicken Breast and Mashed Potatoes
Image Image

Accessory pack and Instructions
Image Image

MealKitSupply

Post by MealKitSupply » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm the owner of Meal Kit Supply Canada -- and yes it is a Sopakco -reconfigured Surepak 12 MRE case -- there are some differences :

- it is CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) inspected and approved for distribution in Canada, which means some of the stuff you might find in the US case won't be there.

- Every meal bag has wheat snack bread (no crackers) -- I just loved the bread and wanted to make sure it was in every meal

- we have 8 different MRE entrees in the current case we sell
- Chicken Cav
- Pork Rib
- Grilled Chicken
- Penne
- Cheese Tortellini
- Cheese Omelet
- Veggie Burger
- Chicken with Noodles

- we have 3 different MRE side dish items
- hash browns
- fruit (pineapple and spiced apples)
- Mexican rice

and 4 different desserts

- Chocolate sports bar
- Ranger Bar
- Fudge Brownie
- Shortbread cookie

and 4 different jams

- Grape, Strawberry, Blackberry, and apple jelly

So it has a lot more variety that you would normally see in a case of surepak 12 (not to take anything away from the Surepak, its just to get the product imported we had to decide what would go into it and so we ended up settling on the configuration above and becuase every case is the same we wanted a little more variety).

The reason it shows only 4 entrees is that those are in every case and there is some variability, so we might change the other 4 from time to time (we are thinking of moving off pork rib, which people seem to either love or hate (the latter mostly)).

The Flameless ration heaters are optional (we can do with or without)

Hope that answers your questions, I've sent a case to kman so he can take a look at the case.
Meal Kit Supply MREs: Not your grandpa's combat rations. http://www.mealkitsupply.com

MRE Info on Meal Kit Supply MREs:

*More average calories per meal
*More menu variety
*Wide variety of sides, desserts, spreads, etc.
*Breakfast items

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for the extra info, MealKitSupply. That sounds pretty cool that you guys have been able to pick and choose which parts you want in the MREs. That sounds kind of like what they were doing with the "Menu C MREs" in this thread --> click.

One question for you - when you say "some of the stuff you might find in the US case won't be there", is that because some parts were specifically not approved by CFIA or just because you chose not to include them?

PC1149

MKS

Post by PC1149 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for that info. I like the meals and may I add that your box design is very cool too! :wink:

MealKitSupply

Post by MealKitSupply » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Both -- Cajun Rice and Sausage was one that CFIA wouldn't accept (but not an issue now because it is discontinued). And preference -- I mentioned the Wheat Snack bread, it is really impressive (for shelf stable bread that is) and I wanted to make sure it was in every meal bag (so the cracker is out). Also, mashed potatoes did not do nearly as well here as hash browns with bacon, so we went with the hash browns.
Meal Kit Supply MREs: Not your grandpa's combat rations. http://www.mealkitsupply.com

MRE Info on Meal Kit Supply MREs:

*More average calories per meal
*More menu variety
*Wide variety of sides, desserts, spreads, etc.
*Breakfast items

Canuck67

Meal Kit Supply Canada

Post by Canuck67 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info, MealKitSupply....I didn't mean to knock your meal kits in my earlier post, I was just puzzled as to why the difference with the original Sure-Pak 12. I kind of suspected government regulations might have something to do with it. I may purchase a case from you later on, once I've used up my Menu Cs.

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 am

I'd say as a whole we're doing pretty dang good so far getting some great replies straight from the source! Thanks for stopping by MKS, information from the horses mouth is always the best kind.