My first MRE purchase!

Buying, selling, and trading rations
Canuck67

My first MRE purchase!

Post by Canuck67 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Well, after much "hemming" and "hawwing", I finally made the jump and placed my first MRE order with MREDepot for a case of their "Menu Cs" (hopefully, there are some still left). Since I live in the Maritime Provinces of Canada, the shipping charges are a bit steep ($45.74). Plus, I'll get hit with the UPS brokerage fee once it hits customs.

I guess once I have a taste of one of the meals I'll know for sure if it was worth it. :D

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Cool! Let us know what you think when they arrive.

RoastBeastFan

Post by RoastBeastFan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:51 pm

I too have recently taken the plunge after much hemming and hawwing. I tasted my first MRE a few weeks ago -- the Roast Beef with Vegetables -- and I was amazed how good it was. I don't think you'll be disappointed, Canuck.

Canuck67

My First MRE Purchase!

Post by Canuck67 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Well, one thing's for sure, I certainly won't starve with the amount of food in the Menu Cs! :lol: The only thing that puzzles me though, is the "Meatloaf with Gravy" menu: it contains "cheese spread with bacon", but no crackers or wheat snack bread, only nacho cheese pretzels. Since the pretzels are already cheese filled, why include extra cheese spread? Seems kind of redundant to me. :?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:22 pm

I think they were mostly just throwing in whatever extra parts they had when they put this first run of Menu Cs together. Either that, or they heard someone say "more cheese spread!" and didn't know that meant to also include the crackers and/or wheat snack bread.

You can always mashed up the meatloaf in the pouch (easier to do before you open it) and just dump in the cheese spread to make a cheesy-meatloaf.

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the norm for "C"s, someone else reported BBQ sauce with something like spaghetti, it didn't belong but it certainly doesn't hurt to have extra components laying around.

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:18 pm

This :roll: is something that has been brought to Steve's attention, and it sounds like he's going to address the situation in subsequent orders. I'm willing to bet we'll get to see an even better version of the C menues after he's done fine tuning the actual menue components..... :)
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Honestly I sort of doubt that's how it works. I'm sure they make 100,000 cheese spreads when they're making 70,000 MREs and they just have 5,000 left over at the end. Same with BBQ sauce etc. These C's are just over runs that they're throwing into packing with some semblance of uniformity I suppose, if then. We'll see though, since they sold out I wouldn't be surprised if the next batch are uniform and end up quickly in regular production. I was quite happy with mine.

Canuck67

re: My First MRE purchase !

Post by Canuck67 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:45 pm

I the Menu Cs are adjusted in future rns, it would be nice to a little bit of fruit somewhere, such as wetpack (pears, mixed fruit, etc.) or some of that famous blueberry cobbler......Mmmmm....cobbler! (drools like Homer Simpson) :lol: