Huge deal on Ebay

Buying, selling, and trading rations
Dekard

Re: Huge deal on Ebay

Post by Dekard » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Let us know if you're willing to ship any - i could go for spaghetti, pilot crackers and chicken + noodles. congrats on your great score!

bknight3
eBay name: bancheta

Post by bknight3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Flange wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 am
Honestly, I didn't really need all this, but it was too good to pass up. I'm probably going to do some cherry picking of some items, and if any of you guys are local and are interested, I'm sure we can work something out.

I'm also going to be at the get together in August, so if you want me to haul some stuff there, maybe that would work.

The rest, I'll give to my family to help stock their larder.

Thanks for pointing this out BKnight3. If we meet up, the first can is on me!

Edited for grammar.
Unfortunately, I won't be there.

So I think my can should be brought to the get together for all participants to enjoy.

As to which one, I suggest a poll to be done of those remaining cans you will spare for the trip.

Flange

Post by Flange » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 pm

I really like the idea of a poll. Let me dig through and see what would work well with a group, as long as that's OK with the get together sponsor.

Travelowl

Post by Travelowl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I did my research on this before posting, hoping I'd have more to share, but came up empty.

This is more oriented toward preparedness/survival I would believe, rather than collecting.

A few months ago, a guy I work with found a post that I believe was on the M4 carbine forum, for someone in New Hampshire selling a ton of items. The seller had relocated from WV to NH when he left the military and took a federal job. The listing on the forum only covered a portion of what was available, but off the top of my head there were about ten cases of FSRs, a few partial cases of cold weather rations (I'm not a collector and not sure what they are called, the ones in the white bags), and the rest of his minivan absolutely crammed with white plastic buckets of Mountain House freeze-dried food, for $500. That was more than what was promised in the forum ad, but my friend has no room left in his wife's minivan (evidently she was there and none too happy about the long round trip). He never went back, but said there were more partial cases of cold weather items, loose MREs, a few buckets of freeze dried stuff, and more. He described some loose items as being several Hardigg or Pelican weapons cases full. He said the seller was asking $200 for the remaining items, with the hard cases.

I tried to locate that post but I don't belong to that forum and I am not entirely sure how to search it going back a few months.

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:23 pm

odds are high those rations have long been sold...

bknight3

Post by bknight3 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Everyone remember this? I'm kinda envious right now lol

Flange

Post by Flange » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:58 pm

I’m dug in like an Alabama tick with all my rations.

Actually, I gave some to family who needed to start a stash.

bknight3

Post by bknight3 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:43 am

Glad to hear :)

Any interesting cans?

I know Mountain House had some dishes that were discontinued every few years.

If you crack one open, please post a review.

Flange

Post by Flange » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:47 pm

I tried a couple out, nothing too weird. There was a MH a chili mac can with a best by date of 2001, and it tasted just fine. Also had a chicken noodle casserole, same era but it had a little flavor of old to it.

The instant puddings held up really well.

There were some interesting, discontinued cans like the breakfast can, lunch can and dinner can, each of which contained three different meals for each. Those meals came in clear plastic bags, with a cardboard bottom and a cardboard bag tie to prepare the meal. Nothing even close to the modern metalized bags.