79%
no
14%
without opinion
7%

Total votes: 14

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:49 pm

I think it would be nice to chat/ communicatie with fellow members in 'real time'. Just pop a question to someone. Although there's nothing wrong with posting/PM, similar to BigMark's reply.

Greetings, Nawt.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:03 pm

ak70g2...if only you were in a tent beside me, I'd take an empty plastic bottle, dump a few bottles of tobasco sauce in there, add some water, then pop in an FRH heating element, close it up, and toss it in there with you. :-)

All kidding aside, the more you guys gripe...I mean comment :-) ...about the chat, the more motivated I am to add it - I actually found a couple of possible plug-ins yesterday and downloaded one. I'm going to see how much effort it would take to integrate so you might actually see something soon!

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:44 pm

kman wrote:ak70g2...if only you were in a tent beside me, I'd take an empty plastic bottle, dump a few bottles of tobasco sauce in there, add some water, then pop in an FRH heating element, close it up, and toss it in there with you. :-)

All kidding aside, the more you guys gripe...I mean comment :-) ...about the chat, the more motivated I am to add it - I actually found a couple of possible plug-ins yesterday and downloaded one. I'm going to see how much effort it would take to integrate so you might actually see something soon!
You're a very violent man, kman, but I'd like to show you our warm welcome and get you boozed to the limit and beyond, with some of our deadly combinations of vodka, schnapss, cognac (maybe our french members will steal some Martell or Courvoisier), and, the very best, our wonderful homemade, moonshine romanian Tzuica! We don't toss
anything... Is a sign of disrespect!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuica

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:44 pm

Well guys, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like chat for the forums isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I had one good candidate for a module but right after I started installing it tonight, I found out if was for phpBB 3.0 beta only...and I'm using phpBB 2.0.22 right now and won't upgrade to 3.0 until it's stable and released officially.

So I looked around for some other plugins and the only decent-looking one out there is called 123 Flash Chat but it's not Open Source and they want at least $199 (plus module cost) for it.

If any of you guys have a better suggestion of where to look, I'd be happy to check it out but for now, there doesn't appear to be any easy options.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:34 am

You're officialy forgived! We'll use the old and good YMess and ICQ!

German_EPA
eBay name: advenutre-world-shop

Post by German_EPA » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:36 am

:(
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MILITARY/OUTDOOR/CAMPING/EMERGENCY-FOOD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: My shop: http://www.adventure-world.de

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Kman: Thanks for your efforts!

You know my friend, if and/or when you make improvements to this wonderful site the cost of the necessary hard or software could be recouped through a "Request for Donation" by you. I would be more than happy to help by kicking in some funds (as I'm sure others would be too) in order to help offset the monetary outlay by you.

As an example, the website AR15.COM ("Arfcom") is a free site much like yours, but also "sells" memberships ($20.00 per year) to help offset the cost of maintaining the site. I gladly paid for a "membership" because it's a well layed out site with a wealth of information to learn (and goodies to buy!). Check out the site and see what's available and how it's done. Maybe an idea :idea: (or two) there that you can use?

I myself feel a $10.00 membership (or "sponsorship"?) would not be out of line to be amongst the world's most notable Military Ration Affectionados here on MRE Info. :) (now don't everyone go getting a big head!)

WHEW! Now let's eat.... :mrgreen:
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks, C-rats - I appreciate your comments. I'm familiar with how ar15.com sells memberships but it's not something I'm a big fan of. When it comes to these forums, you guys contribute as much (if not more!) of the content than I do so I can't see how I could charge you a membership fee and still be able to look myself in a mirror.

But maybe you'll be happy to know that mreinfo.com is now at least somewhat self-funding (as opposed to being a fund-sucker, which it was for the first 5 years). :-) Back in February, I signed up for Google's AdSense and started running some of their ads on a few pages on the website (main page, buying mres, and a few others). I didn't want to plaster the site with ads and since AdSense ads are technically supposed to be targeted to the content of the site, I thought they might even be a little useful while providing some relief to the cost of running the site.

And sure enough, the modest bit of return I get from the ads definitely covers the cost of the site and makes it easier for me to buy up new MREs for taste testing and evaluating.

You might be interested in how the ads work...and I never knew this before I started hosting them. Apparently, you get revenue from two things - ad impressions (how many times they're displayed) and clicks. Ad impressions don't generate very much unless you have tens or hundreds of thousands of page hits per day, which we don't.

But the ad clicks are the fun stuff. The rates are variable and Google threatens to shoot you if you disclose any actual numbers so I'll make something up for an example. Say there's an ad spot - one advertiser bids against other advertisers for a place on your site. The highest bidders get the best-placed ads. So let's say XYZ wants an ad on the site and they've bid $0.25 per click. If they're the higest bidder, their ad gets top position and the lower bids go below it. If someone clicks on their ad, the advertiser pays Google $0.25. Google then turns around and pays the site operator some percentage of that. Again, that percentage varies but let's say it comes out to $0.05 per click. Some ads could be lots more, some could be lots less. There's just no telling - it depends on your niche and how much advertisers are willing to pay.

In all my web surfing previously, I never realized that this was how the ads worked - I always figured they were just irritating ad banners that I usually completely ignored. But based on the traffic I've seen on the ads placed on the site, it looks like some people do find them useful because they do click on things. I have had one visitor complain that he clicked on a ad that took him to a page that wanted him to sign up for a free hat or bag or something and he felt like it was a scam...so I blocked that advertiser. But for the most part, the ads I see up there seem to point to legitimate places like Long Life Foods, The Epicenter, MREStar, etc.

You see a lot of sites that have text that says "Be sure to support our sponsors", which is a sly way of saying "click on our ads", which is something that Google tells you not to do on pain of losing your account. And I would support that. As much as I would love to everyone to sit down and click on ads for hours on end, every click causes a vendor - and probably a vendor I like - to have to pay money to Google. If it's a legitimate interest, then great, that kind of support is good, but I really only want to drive valid traffic to their sites.

So there you go...my diatribe on advertising and all that. Again, I appreciate the idea about the memberships but the limited advertising I have here now is doing the job. It keeps the site running but still isn't enough for my $1200 plane ticket to Romania or enough to even let me dreaming of doing this full time. Oh well...you gotta have something to shoot for, I say. :-)

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:29 pm

You Sir, are as honorable a person as they come. But screw the plane ticket to Romania (unless you're taking us along!). And my offer still stands if the need ever arises. 8)
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:44 pm

C-rats wrote:You Sir, are as honorable a person as they come. But screw the plane ticket to Romania (unless you're taking us along!). And my offer still stands if the need ever arises. 8)
You Sir are invited too to come to Romania to booze with us! Maybe we'll get a MREinfo.com World gathering and hang up together. Until then, I'll get a drink for your happiness!