Forums Suggestion: Tapatalk

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
kman
Site Admin

Forums Suggestion: Tapatalk

Post by kman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Over in this thread, Asger suggested:
Also the Tapatalk, there is tons of people here who could browse forums on their mobile devices and join the conversations but one thing that would help me a lot is a easy access to this forums private messages. And I believe tons of people use more PM then the forum itself but they need to get beside PC to get here and read and reply... with Tapatalk they could have instant notifications and faster evolving dicussions.

I've seen Tapatalk before and have used it for a couple of forums I read. Personally, I'm not a huge fan so I haven't ever looked into it. But based on Asger's suggestion, I just too a look. Surprisingly, it doesn't look that difficult to implement and there's a free version so giving it a try shouldn't hurt (much).

But what does everyone else think? Is Tapatalk something you use? Would using Tapatalk make it easier for you to visit the MREInfo Forums?

laughing_man

Re: Forums Suggestion: Tapatalk

Post by laughing_man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:41 am

I got to know Tapatalk for the first time.
Though regrettable, I am not good at hearing English...
Is my understanding right?
  • A MREInfo forum continues to work by phpBB.
  • Tapatalk provides this forum with the interface for mobile devices.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:45 am

laughing_man, yes - your understanding is correct. The forums would continue to work just like they do now on a web browser. You would also be able to use the Tapatalk app to access the forums.

laughing_man

Post by laughing_man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Thank you, I understood.
Since I have accessed to this forum using Windows, I do not have a problem in Tapatalk.
Supposing Tapatalk is introduced into this forum, I will try it on my Android device.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:39 am

BMWs forum also use Tapatalk but I didn´t use it there either.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:10 am

I used it for BMW, some outdoor and e-cigarettes forums. Quit using it 2 years or so because the forums became more spam and argue then normal discussion forums, but I would install it for MREinfo. Having instant notification when I get PM is good enough reason to do that. So what's actually bad thing to have Tapatalk option I don't really understand. If it's not big deal to install activate it and that's that.

Ffs this is a step forward and if someone don't want to use it he doesn't even need to know this forum is available via Tapatalk. When I bought my car and had some problems I posted it on forum and every time I got a reply I got instant noification on my mobile phone there was no reason to go with browser to check if someone replied it.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:36 am

Asger wrote:Ffs this is a step forward and if someone don't want to use it he doesn't even need to know this forum is available via Tapatalk.
It's not as simple as "FFS, it's a step forward" so I should just do it. You don't just add add extensions to forums without doing the proper research on the extension itself: how's the stability? is anyone else having problems with it? are there any security issues? what's compatibility look like? what are the good things other forums admins are saying about it? what are the bad things forums admins are saying about it? etc.

I'm asking all these questions and if it all looks good and is relatively benign, I'll probably install it. Just understand that there's a lot more to adding things like Tapatalk on to a forums then "it looks good so just do it".

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:13 pm

It seems like hundreds of folks use Tapatalk to post over on HammockForums... 14K total users . I don't believe that the board guru, ATTroll, had any issues with integrating it.
Haven't heard of any issues except requests for more features.
I DOES let you post photos right from the phone