NO, I LIKE IT THIS WAY
77%
ONLY TAPATALK
No votes

Total votes: 13

[ex-Member1]

Forum reorganisation and Tapatalk

Post by [ex-Member1] » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:05 pm

I hate to be the one to say this but honestly I'm a bit suprised nobody mentioned this before.

Searching for something i pain in the a** and if someone goes manual mode by click & search there is chance he will never find it because they don't know under what subforum was it posted or it will take time.

If I don't go into it's time international rations have their own place where this discussions and reviews should be anyone can see buy/sell/trade is pretty busy so why don't have separate forums for each one? I don't need to explain why.
Screenshot_172.png
This should be separate USA rations and separate International. It's hard to find something and it seems it's hard for people to know where to post their stuff, as you can see last active topic anybody knows tis MRE posted under review section, not ever MRE subforum but under other US ration reviews... somehow ration talks with subforum: MREs
Discussions about US MREs and other US rations passed by OP like it's not the right subforum fr this topic.
Screenshot_173.png
This part is also interesting since there is a survival video subforum but there is only 12 threads inside so why have it when nobody uses it? Offtopic or other videos subforum and there is separate dedicated offtopic subforum just under... MRE/ration videos are something used for double posting and spamming the forum, someone makes mre review and suddenly there's 2 almost identical threads but one is in mre reviews other goes under mre/ration videos
Screenshot_174.png
Sometimes is really hard to know where is the right place to post something and it's also hard to find something. Why not have ration part better organised with international rations as separate place since there is more and more of them and USA rations at other place for people not interested in one or another...

Members forum: viewforum.php?f=7 there is awesome thread my postman, still nobody put it as sticky. There was few ccontest with nice number of people joining in so why don't have one contest forum as well not only for forum contests but maybe a place where one could give notice to members about some giveaways on youtube or online shops etc...

One example of confusing stuff is free mre topic on 2 different places
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6336
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6395 I don't want get into the details and say I don't understand who is giving what to whom and where are those reviews the winners should give but let's say a Contests and Giveaway forum would be nice to have to make navigation little easier.

Also the Tapatalk, there is tons of people here who could browse forums on their mobile devices and join the conversations but one thing that would help me a lot is a easy access to this forums private messages. And I believe tons of people use more PM then the forum itself but they need to get beside PC to get here and read and reply... with Tapatalk they could have instant notifications and faster evolving dicussions.

I believe there is people here with knowledge who can help the owner and moderators out about this if anyone agrees with me. We all use it so why don't help to make it better. I'll try to make poll for people not wanting to reply but want to join with opinion.

elandil

Re: Forum reorganisation and Tapatalk

Post by elandil » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Personally, I hate Tapatalk. Annoying and useless, plus the Ads.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:39 pm

I disagree it's useless, it can be annoying that's just opinion. When I stopped smoking I had few ecig forums to help me out, also a forum about my car manufacturer and all of it where available on tapatalk so I could post I need this and that and when i had any problems I would get notified by the app when I had a reply or PM... app as app can be personalised as you want. About ads I had pro version never seen any ads.

I don't use it at this time but last time I checked mreinfo I could not find it. I would install it back in a second just for mreinfo to have PM available in any moment anywhere.

PS
any thoughts about the rest of the stuff beside tapatalk opinion?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm

As the owner of the site and forums, I'll chime in here.

There's a simple answer to most of your questions:
Why don't (we) have separate forums for each one (international rations reviews/buy/sell/trade)?
Why have it (survival video subforum) when nobody uses it?
Why not have ration part better organised with international rations as separate place?
Why isn't XXXXX thread sticky?
Why don't have one contest/giveaway forum?
Why don't we use Tapatalk?
And that answer is "Because no one has suggested it." :D

But you've suggested it now so let's talk about it!

For some background, the forums' structure hasn't changed much in the 11 years that it's been running. Most people just seem to accept the structure for what it is and work around it. Sometimes I get suggestions like most recently from BlackDogBob when he suggested I sticky the MRE Symposium thread. I thought that was a good idea and did it right away. I don't recall anyone else ever asking to sticky a thread but I'm not opposed to it - send me your suggestions!

As for the structure, sure...I'm all open to adding sections you all think would be useful or moving/removing forums that aren't used or no longer fit.

For these changes, I'd suggest you start a new thread for each one here (under MREInfo Site Feedback) and title it as "Forums Suggestion: Your Suggestion Here" (yes, please change "Your Suggestion Here" to whatever your suggestion is :D ). I appreciate all the time and effort you, Asger, put into this long thread but something this long with this many suggestions will be difficult to discuss as a group - some suggestions might be missed out from people not wanting to read through such long post.

So submit your suggestions and we'll discuss them, see if we want to make the changes, and then figure out how we need to make them (more help, more moderators, etc.)

I'll get the ball rolling with Tapatalk...look for a post on that next...

SNiiP3R

Post by SNiiP3R » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Would be nice if mods / admins would start to combine threads. Instead of having 100s threads about the same type of ration, combine them all into a single mother thread. This way when you search for something, you'll always end up in a single thread, with many reviews by different members. :mrgreen:

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:21 pm

SNiiP3R, maybe you didn't see my last post just above your...but everyone...PLEASE NO MORE SUGGESTIONS in this thread.

I want your suggestions, but if you really, really, really want to make a good suggestion, please give it it's own discussion topic...having one giant "suggestions" thread will never give each suggestion the attention it deserves because some suggestions will get discussed and some will just get lost in the flow of other discussions.

SNiiP3R...I'll start a new thread with your suggestion right now. But everyone else, please start them yourselves. Thanks!

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:14 pm

OK I'll try first with buy-sell-trade suggestion. Thanks for the positive attitude I just hope I understand corectly what should I do and that my English knowledge should be enough to elaborate my thoughts.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Asger,

Just read this post of yours. Was trying to understand your comments. They are many, and will try to answer some of them.

Search
I've tried "search" with mixed results. Sometimes I found what I wanted quickly, and at other times, even when I knew what I was looking for, it was too buried and wasn't very useful. However, there are Two search options aside from "advanced search" that I found useful to my queries. That is, searching the specific thread more often than not led me to easily find what I was looking for -- as long as I knew it was there (the thread/topic). But there is an old factual cliche concerning the Vatican library in Rome. You will not get what your looking for unless you know its actually there.

Videos
This I had to comment on as you know I post alot of them for the benefit of the forums and edification of its users. The Survival video section is New and was added based on a survey of user preference. It does not include a date it was created but, I have to adamantly disagree that its not being used or useful. I can't understand how how you determined that. Number of videos is not the only number within that topic. I looked at it and did the math. This is what I found:

Survival Forum
Views 18,072

This is more people than all the members in the forums will meet in our lives. Granted the actual total is lower, but still.... O' C'mon. It was added around December 14, 2014.

Also, some members have had the ability to move topics around effectively doing some house cleaning. Survival is a natural addition to these forums. I read your other comments but couldn't easily understand them.

Edit: Just read Kman's concerns above. Yeah this was a brain teaser. No suggestions were made - just analysis.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:51 pm

jfko6 wrote:Videos
This I had to comment on as you know I post alot of them for the benefit of the forums and edification of its users. The Survival video section is New and was added based on a survey of user preference. It does not include a date it was created but, I have to adamantly disagree that its not being used or useful. I can't understand how how you determined that. Number of videos is not the only number within that topic. I looked at it and did the math. This is what I found:

Survival Forum
Views 18,072

This is more people than all the members in the forums will meet in our lives. Granted the actual total is lower, but still.... O' C'mon. It was added around December 14, 2014.
Yes, it's not being used don't do math by number of views, sometimes we view things just because we have to or by accident. If it's useful I don't know, you don't either, but since almost nobody uses it, is it useful or is it not could be rather easy question to answer but I don't want to guess this. There are 13 threads from wich 5 threads have 0 replies and 2 threads have only 1 reply. That's the math that counts, or maybe there is part of this Survival Videos I don't see?

There are 7 members that made topics in that subforum and I am one of them. That's 7 people who went in Survival Videos to post something, since you like the numbers that's 7 members from "Total members 1568". That's also math that counts. As you said you don't understand how I dermenided that it's not used this is how I did it.
jfko6 wrote:Survival is a natural addition to these forums.

Sure, but it seems people disagree. So it can be easily merged with like Military and Offtopic videos. Because this is mre/ration forum and we have just one (only one) forum for International rations flooded with everything and anything from asian to european and south american and 14 pages of it, but we have Survival Videos where 7 guys posted in 2 years.
jfko6 wrote:I read your other comments but couldn't easily understand them.

I am really sorry about that.

PS
all of this I posted was long time ago and it isn't like it really matters anymore, but hey you asked a question it would be rude of me not to answer it

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:05 pm

I glanced some of your responses. Obviously, this is an apple and orange comparison.

Either way. I had it built. It will stay. And you are overruled by the forum members who made the request. KMan put time in adding it.

All in all those are negative comments. We are supposed to build and not tear down.

That category wasn't created too long ago, all things considered. And neither is your post old.

If it was more than a year maybe I wouldn't bother.

But I don't agree with your analysis. It leaves too many things out which is quite clear.

I know it's useful because I put out out the request for it. And have had a plan to add more to it which you could not know.

Presumption may sometimes have it's place.

Honestly, I have no reason to care if you don't like it.

It's going to stay. Too bad.

O' and maybe I could take in the number of hours all the actual videos hold.

All I can say is you are quite naive about numbers.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire