Homemade "MRE" section?

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
OhCanada

Homemade "MRE" section?

Post by OhCanada » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:29 pm

MRE/IMPs are hard to get on the Atlantic coast without doing mail order so I have been looking at making homemade MREs for emergencies.

What do people think about a homemade MRE section? I have made them in the past from what I can get at local stores but it would be of great interest to me to see what others include and how other pack their contents.
He who thinks, is a step ahead.

TurtleNomad

Re: Homemade "MRE" section?

Post by TurtleNomad » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:35 pm

OhCanada wrote:MRE/IMPs are hard to get on the Atlantic coast without doing mail order so I have been looking at making homemade MREs for emergencies.

What do people think about a homemade MRE section? I have made them in the past from what I can get at local stores but it would be of great interest to me to see what others include and how other pack their contents.
I like the idea, but for now, please do share your experiments, perhaps in the "civilian" MRE section.
I know there will be great interest and feedback. :)

I do like the "complete" MRE packages, but I too have found that homebrewing gives me a better customized fit, and is generally a bit cheaper. Military MREs are designed for young studs in their late teens to early twenties, not for us middle-aged "less active" types. ;)
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly