Post Numbering

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post Numbering

Post by jfko6 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 am

KMan:

The MRE forum website has grown quite a bit. To help users keep track of and reference important topics
and features a useful tool to add to the boards is Post Numbering. Though it's possible to link to specific
topics within a thread (a feature most users are probably unaware) having the topics numbered will help enhance
the forums and make them better.
Last edited by jfko6 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

kman
Site Admin

Re: Post Numbering

Post by kman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:53 am

jfko6,

Thanks for the suggestion. While the feature doesn't look exactly like you marked up in your attached .jpg, the forums does have a hyperlinked post numbering system in place. If you look at the title of your post or my post in this thread, you'll see it's hyperlinked and the resulting URL for your post is:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3263#p24051

The last part of that URL is "#p24051" - that's an HTML anchor followed by your post number.

It might not be as convenient as having the actual post number displayed on the message, but at least you can use that URL to link back to specific posts.

Is that what you're looking for?

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Re: Post Numbering

Post by jfko6 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 am

Kman:

In this thread there are two posts. I'm #1 and your is #2 and this is #3. For members to easily find buried mesages or new topics in a thread, displaying the number of posts is simplier. For example, in my graphic -see how it is numbered. Attached to the message inside the post is the hyperlink. The forums already number the posts for you, obviously, so why not have it count the posts inside the thread. Count them and link them is my suggestion to you.

Here's a visual example:
Post Numbering.jpg
Post Numbering.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 8717 times
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire