MREInfo Forums Upgrades and Changes

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
kman
Site Admin

MREInfo Forums Upgrades and Changes

Post by kman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:07 am

Hello everyone! The forums have now been upgraded to phpBB version 3.0x - the latest version available. This is a big jump for us from phpBB 2.x. I won't go through the list of changes in this new version because you'll be able to get a feel for them yourself as you browse the forums. Hopefully a lot of the changes and requests you've been asking for here will be accomodated. Also, hopefully most of the custom features and MODs that we had on the old forums will work the same here. If you see anything missing or acting odd, please let me know about it immediately.

There are some small changes I wanted to highlight:

1. New forums structure! As you can tell from the top level of the forums, I've added a bunch of new categories. I'll talk later about how we're going to get the old posts moved into the right places.

2. The old "Profiles" and PM/Messages sections have been combined into one "User Control Panel". If you're logged in, you should see a link for this just underneath the "Board index" link above. Look through the new User Control Panel to get familiar with it. Under the "Profile" tab you'll find a custom field to list your eBay userid if you wish to share it.

3. Avatars - this isn't really a change - just a warning - all the avatars converted over but a few are displaying weird. If your avatar doesn't look right, please just re-upload it.

Major change - Moderators
There is one major change I want to announce. After three years of trying to manage these forums by myself, I've decided it's time to branch out and add some other "Moderators" to help me keep an eye on things here. Here's what the forums FAQ says about Moderators:
What are Moderators?
Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.
I haven't had to do a *lot* of moderation here in the past because you guys and gals don't stir up too much trouble. But the big chore of moderation is keeping an eye on all the topics and posts to make sure everything is running smoothly. That's mostly what the new Moderators will be doing.

The guys I've asked (and who've agreed) to help me are: DirtyDave, German_EPA, housil, jfko6, and MCIera. These are guys who I've known for a while on the forums, who are pretty heavy posters, and who I've had dealings with outside of the forums. I know we have a lot of other long-time and heavy-posting members here so please don't take offense if you didn't get asked to help here. This is a new thing for the forums and once we get the kinks worked out and see how the new setup works, we'll consider adding new Moderators as the forums grow.

Topic moving
One thing that I will be asking for help with is organizing all the old posts into the new categories. All the reviews need to be moved into the Reviews folders, the videos into the Videos folder, etc. I've set up a special permissions category that will let select users move any post into the right folder. If you'd be interested in helping out with this, please send me an email or PM. Preference is going to be given to the members who've been around here the longest and who are well-know contributors. Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers!

That's it for now - welcome to the new forums!

Lifesaver

Re: MREInfo Forums Upgrades and Changes

Post by Lifesaver » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:13 am

WOW!! I thought my computer had gone wonky or some such. Then I found this post. It looks good. Nice work Kman.
"That others might live."

Big Galloot

Post by Big Galloot » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:47 pm

I really fond of the "Review" section. Good work, Kman.
You can pick your friends
and you can pick your nose
but you can't roll your friends into little green balls!

vampalan

Post by vampalan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Looks great! Keep up the good work.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Very nice...:)
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:51 pm

great looking bboard, KMAN !

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Err,
How about a link to the rations pages, MREInfo.com ?
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:33 pm

Feels weird but nice.... :D
Good work! :wink:

Peace!
8)
"Live long and prosper..."

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:33 pm

dirtbag wrote:Err,
Yeah, good catch, dirtbag. That was something I originally had to hardcode into the template files so I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. But I'll get the main site linked back up soon!

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:53 pm

kman wrote:
dirtbag wrote:Err,
Yeah, good catch, dirtbag. That was something I originally had to hardcode into the template files so I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. But I'll get the main site linked back up soon!
Thanks for fixing the link, Kman. I often go there, trying to figgure out what someone is talking about...!
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO