Suggestion: Bull/Sell/Trade Rules

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
SentientTootsieRoll

Suggestion: Bull/Sell/Trade Rules

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:07 am

I've been a member of the forum for a little over three years and it seems like the forum has become less about ration related discussion and more about classifieds in that time. In other words, it appears most people only come here to buy and sell stuff but they never engage in any of the ration related discussions. Only a few of us appear to be doing that regularly.

I don't want to suggest we overburden the forum with rules, but one suggestion I can make is that we require members have at least 10 (or so) non-sale related posts on the forum before they can post asking to buy, trade or sell. I think this will mitigate those who just want to take but not offer anything in return to the community. What are your thoughts?

Travelowl

Re: Suggestion: Bull/Sell/Trade Rules

Post by Travelowl » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 am

I think it’s perfectly reasonable, and even common on many forums these days.

And happy holidays to you, my friend!

housil

Post by housil » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:32 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:07 am
I don't want to suggest we overburden the forum with rules, but one suggestion I can make is that we require members have at least 10 (or so) non-sale related posts on the forum before they can post asking to buy, trade or sell. I think this will mitigate those who just want to take but not offer anything in return to the community. What are your thoughts?
We noticed that too and I have talked to Kman about.
By now, we keep it that way the forums is open to anybody, even if they "abuse" it to only sale/advertise their things.
I move any sale-adds into the buy/sale/topic and make sure, there is no cross posting etc.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:40 am

It is a reasonable suggestion and I have a couple of thoughts about it...

I've seen this on other forums where you have to have so many posts before you can do something special. The only problem with that is that you get a lot of people who just post the minimum number of comments like "I like that!" and "Good idea!" to get them to the threshold.

And also...I don't want to force people to be a part of the community. Some people come here because they're interested in the hobby and want to talk about things. Other people come here just looking for a place to buy/trade rations. In fact, one of the most common questions I get in email is, "Where can I buy XX rations?" I usually tell them eBay is a good place to look and I also suggest they join the forums because we trade rations there regularly.

I suppose you could say my policy for the forums is "All are welcome" (well...except spammers). If you just want to buy/sell/trade, we're not going to force you to be interested and participate in the discussions. But we all know that the better people know you, the better the trades and the better your reputation.

But I'm not inflexible...if it becomes a problem, we can always change the policy!

P.S. Merry Christmas!!

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:23 pm

I've been a member of the forum for a little over three years and it seems like the forum has become less about ration related discussion and more about classifieds in that time. In other words, it appears most people only come here to buy and sell stuff but they never engage in any of the ration related discussions. Only a few of us appear to be doing that regularly.

Yeah, not pointing fingers but there is someone who recently joined the forum and is using it as an advertisement board, I think people like that should reevaluate what they are doing to be honest
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:38 pm

koreyyy1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Yeah, not pointing fingers but there is someone who recently joined the forum and is using it as an advertisement board, I think people like that should reevaluate what they are doing to be honest
That mentioned person just needs to be banned, its pointless that they're here lol.