Suggestion: Increase file attachment size

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
SentientTootsieRoll

Suggestion: Increase file attachment size

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:45 am

All of the pictures I post on this forum are shot with a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 phone camera. Usually the pictures are just under 5 MB, but occasionally they will be just a few hundred kilobytes over. This can be a minor inconvenience since I have to use an image compression service to compress my images to a size below the 5 MB limit. I'd like to suggest we set the limit to 6 MB, or possibly 10 MB. I'm not sure if the newer phones take larger size pictures but I imagine they do.

housil

Re: Suggestion: Increase file attachment size

Post by housil » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:26 am

MIne are made with my iphone and have usually ~ 1-2MB. Before I upload them, I reduce their "size" down to 1200x900 pixel what is still "big" enough to watch, but also reduce their amount of data to 500-900kb.

Jim_M1988
eBay name: Jim_M1988

Post by Jim_M1988 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:25 am

Yeah, I'm using a Samsung and this stopped me posting pictures for a long time. Android ran an update which removed the possibility of reducing the quality of your pictures like Housil does. Once upon a time you could reduce the image size and just take less quality photos, but that isn't an option for the newer Samsung devices now.
Storage is expensive but we want to keep the historical images here too. I agree though, 6mb would cover most cases for me too.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am

The problem I have here is that this is going to be a slippery slope. The limit right now is 5MB. But like SentientTootsieRoll mentions, his phone usually shoots just under 5MB but occasionally goes over a little bit.

I see the same thing happening if I raise the limit to 6MB...someone is going to go over just a bit. Then they'll want 7MB. Then a new phone will come out that shoots even larger file sizes and the requests will come in for even higher limits...and on and on.

I hate to be an old curmudgeon about this but there's got to be a limit at some point. Phones like to take large-file-size photos to capture as much detail as possible - even if all that extra data isn't needed for posting pics on Internet forums.

Feel free to change my mind on this...do we really have to support giant max-file sizes on the forums when even a reasonably resized/scaled image will work just fine, too? I know it's an extra step, but there should be plenty of apps out there that will help you resize your photos or just re-saved them with slightly less quality.

As an example, here's a pic I just took with my iPhone Xs (12 megapixel). The original was 4032x3024 and was 3.4MB in size (sorry, that's the largest I can shoot). I opened it up in a graphics program and just re-saved it (didn't even resize it) at 75% jpg quality...and the resulting image below is 1.7MB.
pic-example-resaved.jpg
So yes, I get it - it's probably more about convenience (the pain in the ass of having to use another program to resize) vs. file storage economics.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:35 pm

A hack you can do, and what I do, is go to gallery, screenshot the picture, crop out all the extra nonsense and boom! picture thats smaller

Also Kman, above that ORP, is that also a british ration that has just a big menu number on?
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:41 pm

Yes, the ration above the ORP is a British "24 Hour Ambient Food Pack (Menu 14)"...best before March 2012. :-)

Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:50 pm

kman wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:41 pm
Yes, the ration above the ORP is a British "24 Hour Ambient Food Pack (Menu 14)"...best before March 2012. :-)
Does it say "24 Hour Ambient Food Pack" or just "14" in big letters?
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:56 pm

Apologies for totally derailing this topic but...

It just has a giant "14" on one side and then this sticker on the opposite side:
orp-14.jpg
P.S. And yes, I scaled that picture down from 3.5MB 4032x3024 to 371K 2048x1536.

Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:38 pm

kman wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:56 pm
Apologies for totally derailing this topic but...

It just has a giant "14" on one side and then this sticker on the opposite side:

orp-14.jpg

P.S. And yes, I scaled that picture down from 3.5MB 4032x3024 to 371K 2048x1536.
Oh wow thats very cool! If you find a ration like this, without the rear sticker, it could be one of the hard to find jungle rations

Tedster

Increase file attachment size

Post by Tedster » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:12 pm

Later iPhone software update has the ability to adjust the file size or resolution when posting images that comes in handy. Before that, the only way I could manage it was emailing images to myself and then reducing the files size. Awkward, but it works.