Not trying to complain but it needs to be addressed

Feedback, comments, and suggestions for the website
Militaryration_guy

Not trying to complain but it needs to be addressed

Post by Militaryration_guy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:03 am

Greetings everyone, I decided to change my email that I use for my account which was 2 or 3 weeks ago, it took 2 weeks or longer to reactivate my account and I was wondering why it took that long and why the system is rigged up to require reactivation after changing your email. I talked to a administrator or a board member via email about this and he was very polite and very kind. When I registered I had my account activated within 24 to 48 hours, not sure what is going on and why it happened but can someone answer my questions and explain the process and or system to me.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Not trying to complain but it needs to be addressed

Post by Amelieee1 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:26 am

One man, one busy man, running the site and forums for us.
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

housil

Post by housil » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:17 am

koreyyy1 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:26 am
One man, one busy man, running the site and forums for us.
That´s what it is!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 am

Militaryration_guy,

I'd be happy to answer your questions...second one first...

Q. Why [is] the system is rigged up to require reactivation after changing your email?

The main reason for this is because that's the default for phpBB (the software this forum uses). This gives me the chance to validate that the new email address actually works and is not associated with anything bad (see below).

Q. I was wondering why it took that long?

The quick answer is like koreyyy1 said - "One man, one busy man, running the site and forums". But there's a little more to it. The longer answer is that we get a lot of spambot registrations here - fake accounts that are created to generate spam or pass on malware to people. Whenever a new account is created, I get a notification via email. I go in and check out the email address that registered the account, check out the IP address, and then email the person to validate that they're real and the email account works. If the email/IP looks good and they reply to me, I activate the account. It's a little bit of a tedious process and is usually easy enough...except where there are a ton of fake registrations to wade through. And if I'm caught up in real life for a few days, those registrations really add up and makes getting through them all even more difficult. It's getting better, but at one point, I was seeing about 80% of the new registrations coming back as fake.

So that's the longer answer. I do appreciate everyone's patience while I work through the backlog of registrations.

Pro tip...just email me if it's taking longer than usual to activate/reactivate an account. Those direct emails go straight to the top of the email list and get fixed immediately.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am

Ok, thanks for answering.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?: