MRE Symposium and Meetup, Part 2

MRE and other ration news
kman
Site Admin

MRE Symposium and Meetup, Part 2

Post by kman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi all. We're 5 weeks away from the MRE Symposium and Meetup at the Northern Richmond Gun Show in Doswell, VA, on October 22-23, 2016!

The original thread on this subject is already 10 pages long so I'm locking that one and creating this new post for us all to reference.

I'll keep these top two posts in the thread updated with the latest information as we approach the date!

kman
Site Admin

Re: MRE Symposium and Meetup - Part 2

Post by kman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:24 pm

(This post is a work in progress)

MRE Symposium and Meetup
When: Saturday and Sunday, October 22-23, 2016
Hours: 9am-5pm
Admission: The MRE Symposium is free...but you have to pay to get into the gun show (adults=$8.00, children=$5.00, under 12=Free; Saturday admission good for both days with a hand stamp.)

We'll also be getting together for an MRE/Rations-fest (MREapalooza? Ration Man?) on Saturday night at Kings Dominion's Camp Wilderness, where a number of us will be staying. They have camping/RV spots as well as full cabins available there.

Events:
MRE/Rations Displays
Trading! (some selling allowed but if you have a lot to sell, please buy a table from the show)
A charitable auction to support Ruleryak's Military Ration Museum

Who's attending? (if you want your name on/off the list, PM me, or feel free to lurk...but still come!)
kman, housil, BlackDogBob, steve1989, Name_not_found, gundog4314, Ruleryak, parafireboy, SNiiP3R...and many more...still collecting names.

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Ruleryak and Parafireboy confirmed they were coming also.

Man! This is going to be an extremely awesome weekend!
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:23 pm

*** UPDATE ***

Hey guys! So in the MRE Meetup area, in addition to the museum section we will also have a "trade" section. So bring all your extras you want to trade and go home with the rations you want.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

kman
Site Admin

Re: MRE Symposium and Meetup

Post by kman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Hey all. This past week, I had someone contact me via email saying they had this case of 1991 Cinpac MREs and were looking to offer them to a good home. I sent him a shipping label and they just arrived at my house. Looks like a still-banded case of MREs from 1991! I told the generous fellow that we'd either put them in the auction or just bring them to the meetup/after-party on Saturday for a sampling of 25-year old MREs. :-)

Here's what you could be enjoying:

MRE Menus 1991
01 – Pork with Rice in BBQ Sauce
02 – Corned Beef Hash
03 – Chicken Stew
04 – Omelet with Ham
05 – Spaghetti with Meat and Sauce
06 – Chicken Ala King
07 – Beef Stew
08 – Ham Slice
09 – Meatballs, Beef and Rice, in Tom. Sauce
10 – Tuna with Noodles
11 – Chicken and Rice
12 – Escalloped Potatoes with Ham
cinpac-mres-1.jpg
cinpac-mres-2.jpg
I think we might give a special prize to whoever is brave enough to try the Omelet with Ham. :-)

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Nice find, Kman! I'll bet we can safely say Gundog will pass on the Chicken Ala King. And Elandil will probably get dibs on the Corn Beef Hash. :wink:
If I'm lucky, I'll get meatballs - but chances are I see myself getting stuck with that Omelet! heheh :)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Ah...good ol' Chicken Ala King...or as I call it, "Chicken Ala Death".

gschultz9

Post by gschultz9 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm

kman wrote:Ah...good ol' Chicken Ala King...or as I call it, "Chicken Ala Death".
Or as we used to call it in the 80s, Chicken a la S**t!

Hey, if I was able to make it to the symposium I'd actually like to try out the Omelet with Ham! Well, as long as this case was stored VERY well over the past couple decades. I've only had the Cheese and Veggie Omelets and I think that the addition of ham would make it worth trying!

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:28 am

Oh man, I remember when these were new issue. Holy wow! That beef stew was the giddy AND the fresh.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:30 am

Making me sadder that I can't be there now. I know there are a few oatmeal cookie bars in that case and if anyone that gets them wants to send them my way I will definitely pay a handsome reward. I know they are still good If nothing else is. Man I miss those things.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.