MRE Symposium and Meetup, Part 2

MRE and other ration news
parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: MRE Symposium and Meetup, Part 2

Post by parafireboy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:29 pm

BlackDogBob wrote:Well guys, the First MRE Meetup and Symposium was a HUGE success and an absolute WONDERFUL time! My wife even tried an IMP last night and enjoyed it so much she pulled 6 more IMPs out of my inventory and claimed them as hers. In fact, it was SUCH a great time that we are already making plans for the next one. Wait! What???? Yep! Already planning the next one! I will start a new thread with details!
Awesome! I'm glad to hear it was a success, and that there will be another! :D

SpanishInquisition

Post by SpanishInquisition » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:32 pm

And now, the Big Question (TM)...

Were we eating sardines or sprats?

Seems the technical answer is:

YES

http://the-difference-between.com/sprat/sardine

Though I suspect the real answer is "Who cares, they were GOOOOOOD!"

:D

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 pm

DYK? There is no such fish as the sardine? "Sardine" is a catch-all term for a wide variety of small fishes suitable for preservation via canning.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:31 pm

RockyRaab wrote:DYK? There is no such fish as the sardine? "Sardine" is a catch-all term for a wide variety of small fishes suitable for preservation via canning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_pilchard this is what we call sardines. We use two terms for same fish we call it srdela when it's fresh and sardina when it's canned.

SpanishInquisition

Post by SpanishInquisition » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:08 pm

RockyRaab wrote:DYK? There is no such fish as the sardine? "Sardine" is a catch-all term for a wide variety of small fishes suitable for preservation via canning.

Yeah, I knew, but never had to consider international packaging as part of the conversation and dining experience before this delicious sample. Far more smoky flavor that what is offered in the US, and it was delicious!

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Still can't get your link to work, SI Anyway, my post was for everybody, not just you.

For the record, I love canned sardines.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Come see the Doswell pics here:

Doswell photo thread!

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:40 am

I am so happy to have made it down to meet everyone. This will be a weekend i wont forget.

The show was very nice, every person there was kind and friendly.

Bobs table was something out of a dream :D Rations of all kinds fresh as can be! AND Bobs own rations which are the freshest ever and have some unique menus and items(flat packed tortillas for example no fold 8) ), just an unbelievable offering of rations, it was quite a feat to gather them. Bob is a man who can get things done and this sure proves it.

On top of that Ruleryak's museum display was fantastic! Rare rations :D , international rations :D , space rations :D , beautiful photos :D and of course the auction items!! :mrgreen: Please check out the start of day two for the excellent presentation Ruleryak did for the museum about he items in the cases, we even get a close up look at the insides of a ration from a country that doesn't exist anymore :shock: Ohh and just something that has actually been in space (and possible another awaiting confirmation)

Personally, meeting all of you was the best part! Getting to meet Housil in person was truly a treat and something i wasn't sure would ever happen you are an amazing person and asset to the forum, i am glad we are friends, AYGET also had an amazing time chatting with you.

Kman the man who started it all what can i say it was an honor to meet you, thank you for all you do for the forum and thank you for your warm welcome and invite to the cabin. The rare 1991's were beyond a treat, reviews of the few you sent me home with will be up soon.(thank you for the beer cozy, ill be in touch about some shirts :) )

Steve what can i say, i got to meet the forum celebrity! Super down to earth, nice guy, i had a great time eating and talking all weekend with you ill be in touch too much to write here.

Ruleryak, i feel like i have known you a long time the second i met you, and it was an easy spot you started as an east coaster :) Thank you for covering me on the stream until i could get to the show. I know it was a huge pile of stress i caused by being last minute i apologize for that. The museum display was great, excellent choices you manages to get safely across the country with you.

Bob you have a personality as big as your ration collection and a heart twice as big. Enough cannot be said about you making this happen, all the international and rare rations you find and bring to the forum in reviews or trading. Even though you were technically working some of the weekend you made the convention feel like home. Your generosity is unmatched and i will be busy for months reviewing!!! Thanks again Bob. Also it was a pleasure to meet your father, AYGET and i could talk about coffee and wine for hours with him, please give him my best, and phone number if he would like to chat. And finally Mrs. Bob, it was also a pleasure to meet you! thank you for joining us at the after party.

Oldsmokey it was very nice to meet and chat with you as well, and thank you for the look at a piece of history, im sure that was a once in a lifetime experience!

Dekard thank you for sharing your work with me at the after party, it was a beautiful video, it was very nice to meet and chat with you.

SpanishInquisition im am so glad you joined up! and that you liked the fish! Very nice to meet you sir

Hans, Dave, and Miles it was also nice to meet you all, glad you could enjoy some MREs and hang out

Looking forward to the next meetup, and all the reviews from this one! Thanks again everyone
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

housil

Post by housil » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:32 am

There is nothing I can add to what Name_not_found has said!

Too bad, we are leaving today back home... :cry: :cry:

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:35 am

great meet up! great people! great stories! this was really terrific : )

to the Kman for making this happen and to Bob and all the other cool members i met and broke bread with - you guys ROCK!

to paraphrase a famous speech -

"From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For those to-day that shared MREs with me
Shall be my brother or sister; be they ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle their condition;
And people around the world now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their honor cheap whiles any speaks
That share MREs with us upon MRE Meet Up day"