Humanitarian Daily Ration Review

MRE and other ration news
QMGE81A
eBay name: j-a-smith

Re: Humanitarian Daily Ration Review

Post by QMGE81A » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Jpak wrote:Thanks Kman...that's kinda what I figured. Worst part about it was that I actually saw the HDRs on cheaperthandirts site a long while ago and figured they'd be around for a while. Opportunity knocked...swing and a miss, on my part. No worries though...
It's not quite as enticing as an entire HDR, but I did see that Epicenter has HDR components for sale now:
http://www.theepicenter.com/mre_militar ... o_eat.html
HDR Bean Salad (2009 production). $2.35 To Die for! Extra High rating!
HDR Peas and Pasta (2009 production). $2.35
HDR Lentils and Vegetables (2009 production). $2.35
HDR Beans with Potatoes. (2008 production). $2.35

Jpak

Post by Jpak » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:03 am

Thanks QMGE81A...good find.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Unless I'm mistaken the HDRs are made to conform to kosher requirements and/or islamic requirements to enable them to be dropped pretty much anywhere in the world, and a friend of mine who has distributed them in various places told me that they are nutritionally better than the conventional MREs.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 pm

rationtin440 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken the HDRs are made to conform to kosher requirements and/or islamic requirements to enable them to be dropped pretty much anywhere in the world, and a friend of mine who has distributed them in various places told me that they are nutritionally better than the conventional MREs.
Nutritional-very
Filling-Very
Tasty-Only if you like beans and lentils...a lot!
Better than starving?- You bet!!!
Oh, the Gas... :lol:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Hmm.. I saw us soldiers tossing out basic MREs instead of HDRs. (maybe from their "own" stash)
And didn't see any humanitarian ones yet.. only the tan coloured packs and normal contents..

I think they just throw in the stuff that's available on short notice.. (you can't waite 2 days to collect stuff, transport it to the airport, and then fly it over to haïti). Or 600.000 HDRs simply weren't enough..

It's also a lot different then an MRE.

a MRE is sufficient to offer al nutrients to a fullgrown, hard working (fighting?) man, for a extended period of time when nescecary.

a HDR is to supply essential calories to survive for a "short" period of time.
For that reason they also don't have to contain FRHs. It's not made to taste good or be eaten warm.
It's a easy source of calories, that every person in the whole world understands. It's explained with a comic, and not written.
There are no animal products in it at all, so that muslim, jewish and other religions can eat it without any problem.

Muslims an jews can't eat pork, Indian people can't eat beef, and the muslims and jews demand HALAL or KOSHER slaughtered meat.. so you can't make a HDR that does both. That's why there are only vegetarian products in it.. so that they can offer fast food relief for everyone in the world..

The problem though, HDRs do not have enough nutrients to feed people for weeks. (Unless there are added food supplements in them).

It's simply to keep people alive.. it's not ment to be a supermeal.

------------------------------------------------

I've also heared something about MREs (German maybe?) that had a production date on them, from 2008 or 2009.. and were thrown at a garbage dump.. (they had to make room at the airport). Because they THOUGHT it was the expire date, and officials said they wouldn't give "rotten" (lol?) food to their citizens. After they understood they made a mistake, the rations were already scavenged and suspected to be in the hands of the wrong people (asking outragious prices for them).

I heared it on the radio at work last week, but I can't find any intel on it.
Anyone has some more information on this one?
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:42 am

They were Mexican rations.

The date screw up was on the biscuit pack I think. This was BBC.