Member Map Feature Added

MRE and other ration news
kman
Site Admin

Member Map Feature Added

Post by kman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Someone suggested we add a feature that would show a map of all the Forums members and I just finished getting that feature added. The Mod I'm using is called "Phoogle" and it uses Google Maps. This feature will only be available to registered members. If you're a member and are reading this without being logged in, please login and you'll see a new link at the top of the screen next to FAQ/Members/Logout - it's called "Member Map". Click that and you'll be taken to a page with a map that looks like this:
phoogle.jpg
Member Map
Right now, I just have a few users up there. Unfortunately, the new Mod doesn't use the information you've already put into the "Location" field of your profile - there's a new place where that info needs to be entered. Here's how to do it:

How to enter your location for the Members Map
1. Short method - click here to go to the right place in the User Control Panel.
or
1. Go to the User Control Panel, click on the Profile tab, then on the "Edit Phoogle Map Profile" sub-tab.

2. Enter an address or city/state/country to locate it on the Google map - or just navigate the map manually.

3. Under "Show my marker on the Phoogle map", select "Yes".

4. And that's all you need to do! If you'd like, you can also choose a different marker or add in a comment. Be sure to hit Submit to save your changes.

I will probably go through and start adding people myself to the Member Map but I have to do it manually for everyone so that could take some time. If you'd like to add yourself, feel free to do so and that will help me out.

A note about privacy
Please note that when I add you to the map, I will only use the information you've already placed in your profile. If your profile says "North Carolina", then I'll put your marker right in the center of NC. If your profile says a city, I'll put your marker in the middle of that city. It's up to you if you want to change that marker to be more specific (your exact house!) or more general. And please remember that at any time you can turn off your marker via the UCP/Profile/Phoogle prefs section.

housil

Re: Member Map Feature Added

Post by housil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:34 pm

I really like that map-thing, also to see where everybody of MREfroms life - worldwide :D

sag45

Post by sag45 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 am

KMAN, thats pretty neat , its good to know where the PREPARED people are, yet I wish there were more ICONS visible. So are we going to be the only survivors? It would be nice to see ICONS at the POLES! At least I know who my nearest neighbor is. I figured I'd see more in the south eastern states and the islands down south. Good Feature!
POTTED MEAT! A FAVORITE! Eat too much and you get THE GOUT!

mtime7
eBay name: mtime7

Post by mtime7 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Love the map and I think I am the farthest north..
Joe

German_EPA
eBay name: advenutre-world-shop

Post by German_EPA » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:08 pm

yes - followed by norge, mursu and johnny a. :idea:
mtime7 wrote:Love the map and I think I am the farthest north..
Joe
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MILITARY/OUTDOOR/CAMPING/EMERGENCY-FOOD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: My shop: http://www.adventure-world.de

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

erad67

Post by erad67 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 am

Funny, for some reason I expected more people to be in Montana. :)

rekrutacja

Post by rekrutacja » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:40 pm

you'll see a new link at the top of the screen next to FAQ/Members/Logout - it's called "Member Map"
I cannot see the link despite the fact that i'm logged in. Is this feature working?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Good catch, rekrutacja. The link must have vanished in one of the previous software updates. I'll try to get that fixed as soon as possible!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Ok - that was easy...looks like I just needed to clear out some cached files on the forums and now it's back to working!

housil

Post by housil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Well done - I hadn´t noticed it was gone :oops: