MRE-like Retort Pouches in Your Local Grocery Store

MRE and other ration news
Karl P

Re: MRE-like Retort Pouches in Your Local Grocery Store

Post by Karl P » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 am

AndreLinoge wrote:
jim_w333 wrote:Does anyone remember going into your grocery store and buying cooked corned beef? Not in a can at the deli? It was sliced thin and about the size of a piece of regular bread. It was so good they fed that to our guys in the military in ww2. I was wondering why they stopped selling it and now you can only get it in a can bye Hormel or Castleberry. Just was thinking of it.thanks
Maybe you're thinking of this stuff, Jim: http://www.shopwell.com/buddig-corned-b ... 7740012743

Just a random link with a pic. I aint spammin (lol) that particular site. Those buddig meat products are great pack food. Not the healthiest, but if you sweat you need that salt back anyway..
Corned Beef is alive and well in Britain and it's former colonies. I've got a tin in my larder right now that requires a key (supplied) to crank it open.
They are the best!! The corned beef not the key or tin.

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Found this in the Dollar Store the other day. They also have one other flavor, tomato something I prefer over the beef noodle sauce.

Not bad for making up your own meal kits. This time of year I start putting together meal kits along with knit caps, gloves, socks, toiletries, etc from the Goodwill or $1 store - package those with thrift store backpacks and pass them out to the homeless in the winter months rather than giving them money.

it's a good way for me to rotate out my older rations and closets as well.
IMG_6153.jpg

housil

Post by housil » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:05 am

I´d like to give them a try.
Dekard wrote: and pass them out to the homeless in the winter months rather than giving them money.
This is very nice!

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:41 pm

That is AWESOME of you!!!! I give my outdated/BBD rations to a needy friend of mine with 6 kids: they LOVE em! The kids alwAys crowd around me to see what we brought! You can't buy that feeling.....
it is what it is....

fatoutdoors

Post by fatoutdoors » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 am

I've tracked these down and tried a couple. Pretty good and may make a video on them. One thing for sure is they have a much shorter listed shelf life than the mil-spec pouches. But I have to say they were excellent. So good in fact the little lady took a few out of my haul for lunch.

So pretty interesting. Not sure how well they ship but I'd happily mail a few out to those who don't have them in their neck of the woods.

Sully

HypnoticHypnos

Post by HypnoticHypnos » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm

That's pretty awesome when you're on a tight budget and I'm a really tight budget right now and enjoy MRE coffee that's when I was so happy and excited when I found tasters choice and nescafe and of course in its freeze dried form at my local walmart
Vegetable crackers with peanut butter?

Biobrew

Post by Biobrew » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Biobrew wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:22 pm
I was in the store today buying 2 more of these for my extended shelf-life trial, and found one still on the shelf that had a Nov 2016 use buy date. Unlike the other shoppers, finding something expired was right up my alley, so I bought it and ate it for lunch.

Southwest style chicken. 270 calories. $2.70

When these go on sale I'll buy a bunch and add them to my stock. The end of this year I'll try a 6-month expired pouch, then next year (if I remember of course) I'll try a 1 year expired pouch.
Not that any of you were eagerly awaiting my update, but I did remember to eat another pouch in December 2017 - at which time it was 5 months expired. The late update is in: it looked, tasted and smelled no different than the relativley fresh one described above.

In about a month I'll follow up with a pouch one year past the expiration date.
meal3.png
meal1.png