MCI 1980 Case Review pages added

MRE and other ration news
kman
Site Admin

MCI 1980 Case Review pages added

Post by kman » Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 am

Hey guys - remember mreheater72's great collection of pics in the thread "My newest treasure":

viewtopic.php?t=911

I asked mreheater72 for some higher-resolution copies of the pictures so I could put that thread up as a proper page on the website. It took a while to put everything together, but I combined his pictures with some of his pound cake/nut roll pictures and some of my own B-Unit pictures to comes up with what is hopefully a pretty complete look at the contents of a case of MCIs from 1980 (the last year they were made):

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/older/mci-198 ... eview.html

Image Image Image Image

Thanks again to mreheater72 for taking the time to send in all the pics and for letting me use them!

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Mon May 05, 2008 11:48 am

Great set of pages and great pictures.
Thanks Kman and Mreheater72!

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi kman,

the review is great, thanks a lot for the efforts you have done, it definitely took a great part of your time. I think the way you structured it is very good. I am a little bit proud that you use my photos for your mreinfo.com site! Also thanks for the additional pics from the B-Units, mine are still closed :oops: :oops: .

The presentation of the opening method of cans with abrasive paper and their refilling is still missing! But I have not forgotten it! Please be a little bit patient for some more time!

So long mreheater72

sahkeah

Post by sahkeah » Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 pm

I was on a Hot-Shot crew in the Forest Service and we got to eat all these 'C-Rats'! (1983)
I remember on one fire, I had the spagetti and I got very sick on it and couldn't eat much after that. For that fire, I really only ate the fruit - peaches, etc., "John Wayne bars", pound and fruit cakes. That was about it. Still the spagetti was my favorites.
Anyways, the peanut butter and cheese would come in the little cans and we would throw them in the fire and they would explode, lol.
I was an FNG and when a slurry bomber would come in, there would be a smaller plane, guiding it in.
I went to one side of this ridge, to take a "rat dump" and just was squatting down, when I saw the lead-plane coming straight at me, with the slurry bomber right behind it!
Next thing I could see, was the orange-red slurry coming or spewing out, so I thought I was going to get the brunt of it and dived to the ground, with my pants still down! As the FNG, I didn't know that they were dropping over us, into this canyon behind us. What a dummy.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun May 11, 2008 7:19 pm

sahkeah

Oh man, I had the same experience back in 1998....though not quite like yours mind you... :shock: Also we didn't have C-rats then but MRE's...was just wondering which 'Shot Crew were you on back then?

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed May 28, 2008 1:15 am

I love pics of those old MCI rations...they are akin to looking at pictures of the family.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

sahkeah

Post by sahkeah » Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Treesuit,
I was with the Flagstaff Hotshots, we mostly fought fires in the AZ desert, Utah, California and Nevada. It was fun also to work with those prison crews!
I remember on one ridge, some CA crew was passing by and one guy gave me a LRRP ration - it was the spagetti and meatballs ration. I added water to the spagetti and then ate the disk bars, that were pretty good. They also had a rice ration and can't remember which one had the orange or lemon flavored cornflake bars, but they were pretty good.

Bypah

1980 C-rats

Post by Bypah » Thu May 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Are they edible??? :?: :shock:
"Live long and prosper..."

mreheater72

Re: 1980 C-rats

Post by mreheater72 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:48 am

Bypah wrote:Are they edible??? :?: :shock:
Although some entrees still looked and smelled edible, I have not tried them. I think in an "emercengy situation" you could eat the following items without getting some serious damage are:

Crackers, Cocoa Beverage Powder, Candy, Peanut Butter, perhaps the Cakes, Coffee, Creamer, Sugar, Salt and the Chewing gum.

So long mreheater72

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

P-38

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Curious if this box had any P-38 or similar can openers somewhere inside the box?
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire