Neti Pots

Any videos that don't fit into the above categories
kman
Site Admin

Neti Pots

Post by kman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 pm

I was listening to a local talk radio station on Friday and they started talking about how so many people in the area have sinus problems from colds and/or alergies. Someone called in to recommend the use of a "Neti Pot". From the sound of it, I thought it was just a "Southern" thing but apparently different cultures around the world also use these for cleansing sinus/nasal passages.

You might think this is a joke video...it's not:

My first reaction after seeing the Neti Pot in action..."Oh, HELL no!" :-)

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Nasal Wash

Post by jfko6 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Solutions to clean the mucous membranes have been around along time.

The pot is not what cleans them, it's the salt that does that.
You can cortorize your nasal passages using backing soda after a sinus infection. And the delivery system can be a simple suction/dropper that you use to baste a turkey.

What they didn't show you is that method can make you cough up and if your nasal passages are clogged it can be real uncomfortable. Been there, done that.

Funny you added that though. Not long ago I was sick and needed salt to gargle with. I had no salt and too sick to get it.

Than it hit me. My friend sent my an MRE packet with salt in it. It was a life saver.

Those MRE salt packets are good for many things.

"Salt of the Earth"

Happy Easter!

P.S. You don't need to buy this pot.

Alternative
Ayr Nasal Myst
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... atid=12203
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:53 am

I've used the same basic thing for my apnea surgery. I can't remember the name right now, but it's a little bottle with a big tip on it that you stick warm water and a salt packet into and shoot it up one nostril and out the other. My wife tried it a few times and it never seemed to do much for her allergies. YMMV. If you're congested at all don't use it, it'll end up shooting down your throat and making you cough. It's not a terrible feeling, but it definitely takes some getting used to. Don't forget to add the salt. I guarantee you'll only make that mistake once. Ouch.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:11 pm

You know I had the same problem and same symptoms when I came back from Iraq years ago. It was recommended that there is a solution that uses baking soda and salt and you flush the nostrils out the same way in the video. It was called Ocean Spray and believe it or not it doesn't sting as much.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 pm

I hate to chime in on something I know nothing about. How about drinking/gargling Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution thru the nostrils. Maybe with a straw. :idea:

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Hydrogen Peroxide

Post by jfko6 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Gargling with Hydrogen Peroxide can be helpful in eliminating bacteria and knocking the plaque of off your teeth.

JUST DON"T SWALLOW IT.
Been there done that. OUCH.

Use a small amount and test. It can make you a bit quezzy if you swallow some. Small amounts down the throat won't hurt you.

If your business of eating MRE's good dental hygiene is important.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire