Any suggestions for Portable/Packable survival food?

Any videos that don't fit into the above categories
Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:23 am

Hey Everyone,

For the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out some sort of portable/pack-able survival type food that would be able to fit into a mess tin with other basic survival items and can be stored for long term without spoilage. I have some Biltong (air dried South African beef jerky) but what else can be found or would be recommended? I would think pemmican is a good choice but all I can find is the commercial brand stuff.

Second, what, or any, kind of tea would be great for a survival situation and would compliment a little sugar or whitener? I saw in one YouTube video Typhoo tea but I am unfamiliar with that brand, so maybe somebody could chime in and give a review.

Any other helpful hints would be great from the forum. Thanks

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Any suggestions for Portable/Packable survival food?

Post by Amelieee1 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:14 am

Treesuit wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:23 am
Hey Everyone,

For the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out some sort of portable/pack-able survival type food that would be able to fit into a mess tin with other basic survival items and can be stored for long term without spoilage. I have some Biltong (air dried South African beef jerky) but what else can be found or would be recommended? I would think pemmican is a good choice but all I can find is the commercial brand stuff.

Second, what, or any, kind of tea would be great for a survival situation and would compliment a little sugar or whitener? I saw in one YouTube video Typhoo tea but I am unfamiliar with that brand, so maybe somebody could chime in and give a review.

Any other helpful hints would be great from the forum. Thanks
Pretty much any normal tea bag with no added nonsense will be ok. Had a 30 year old ORP teabag that was loose inside a bag of stuff, still fine
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:32 pm

Try looking into whether these survival/portable food items are still produced: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7175
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:22 pm

JFK06,

Saw those years ago and though it looks like a big brick. Has anybody on the forum tried them? I belong to another forum where a fellow poster said MET/RX bars would be a good choice.

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:12 pm

The military has the MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat) that aren't too bad. A total of 24 different entrees, with snacks, desserts, and other goodies. Long shelf life, roughly 1200 calories per. Also consider the Cold Weather Ration, a freeze-dried entree that includes items that are higher calorie food value for arctic climates.

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm

I would consider looking at a few hard tack recipes, I add sea salt to the tops for a little flavor. That stuff will last decades just sealed in a tin. My personal go to though is oatmeal. Snag some KFC honey packets for a sweetener. Both will last years as well.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:29 pm

This is a reminder of some of the things you already had: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4867
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:53 pm

gundog4314 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm
I would consider looking at a few hard tack recipes, I add sea salt to the tops for a little flavor. That stuff will last decades just sealed in a tin. My personal go to though is oatmeal. Snag some KFC honey packets for a sweetener. Both will last years as well.
Good call on the hardtack.

I do a similar thing with McDonald's honey packets. My daughter doesn't get McDonald's often, but likes the nuggets as an occasional treat. She doesn't like a dipping sauce, so I always get the honey packets to use with oatmeal, tea, etc.

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:21 pm

I mean Datrex style bars have the best shelf life i guess, if its just for pure survival situations you could do worse.
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.