Das Boot - Trailer

Military-related videos
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Re: Das Boot - Trailer

Post by jfko6 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Believe it was originally a movie then made into a made-for-tv feature.

The versions I know of are:
the English dubbed version
The German version with English sub titles
The Directors Cut
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

lnschnei

Post by lnschnei » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 pm

jfko6 wrote:Believe it was originally a movie then made into a made-for-tv feature.

The versions I know of are:
the English dubbed version
The German version with English sub titles
The Directors Cut
Das Boot is fantastic. Really recommend the Directors cut... The English dubbing stunk... Far better with subtitles.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Actually, the English dubbed version won an award for, well, dubbing. Never knew there was such an award until it got one.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

lnschnei

Post by lnschnei » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:15 am

jfko6 wrote:Actually, the English dubbed version won an award for, well, dubbing. Never knew there was such an award until it got one.
Wow... I didnt know that...

I guess I just preferred the German voices.... It gave the film some added authenticity

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:44 am

lnschnei wrote:
jfko6 wrote:Actually, the English dubbed version won an award for, well, dubbing. Never knew there was such an award until it got one.
Wow... I didnt know that...

I guess I just preferred the German voices.... It gave the film some added authenticity
I always found it odd that the English dub sounded "off" even though pretty much every cast-member did their own. It was just years later when they did it for the Directors Cut, and obviously voices can change slightly over time
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm

I always felt they did a good job overwriting it for an English audience. IMHO. That was then a long while back when I appreciated it. I believe the issue was with the translation between German-English; there you might then draw a preference. I read the book The Final Countdown and saw the '79 film by the same name. There you can truly see the book version versus the screen-writers version. Each had it merits.

For the movie Das Boot (The Boat), Wolfgang Peterson made a film that, to him, was totally and completely immersed in a story where there was never any real victory and no real peace. It apparently affected him. I never knew actors could get stuck in their parts even after the film is made. River Phoenix may be a prime example. Phoenix made a war film and could, seemingly, never return. Odd. But I guess it can be true. Therefore, Peterson went out and made a film based on HOPE and other virtues. Courage for example. Though the themes are enchanting, and I never liked an overly enchanting movie, this film The Never Ending Story is quite good.
Last edited by jfko6 on Fri May 29, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

Vlaanderen

Post by Vlaanderen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 pm

The film was serialised on T.V. here in England with English subtitles in the 80's. Everyone I worked with watched every episode and we would discuss the previous evenings episode.
One Christmas I received from my family the DVD, which was overdubbed in English, awful!, totally ruined it for me. I eventually bought a DVD with English subtitles, which I still enjoy watching.
1979 Landrover Lightweight Airportable, 16HG61. "Sarge".
1986 Sankey Widetrack Trailer. 16KE20. "Private".

SUPPORTING "COMBAT STRESS", THE VETERANS MENTAL HEALTH CHARITY.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Sat May 02, 2020 5:54 pm

I don't speak any German and this is one of my all time favorite movies. I always prefer the German version vs English. There is always something lost in translation be it words or feelings. I don't want to miss even the smallest nuance, the acting in this film deserves the attention, it's that good. I admit they did a pretty good job making the English version but it's just not the same. Do yourself a favor and watch it in German if you haven't before or never will again.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Saw the German version with English subtitles. Might try the version w/o them. A discussion was brought up about the award the film won for dubbing someplace.

Danke.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 pm

Renew.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran