The Hunt for Red October

Military-related videos
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

The Hunt for Red October

Post by jfko6 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:11 pm

The Hunt for Red October is a 1990 American espionage thriller film produced by Mace Neufeld, directed by John McTiernan, and starring Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Scott Glenn, James Earl Jones, and Sam Neill. The film is based on Tom Clancy's 1984 bestselling novel of the same name.

The story is set during the late Cold War era and involves a rogue Soviet naval captain who wishes to defect to the United States with his officers and the Soviet Navy's newest and most advanced nuclear missile submarine. An American CIA analyst correctly deduces his motive and must prove his theory to the U.S. Navy before a violent confrontation between the Soviet and the American navies spirals out of control.
"I would have liked to have seen Montana"

To acquire DVD, stream movie, or to read the book, below images contain product links

The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

jfko6

Re: The Hunt for Red October

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Movie CLIP - Escaping Torpedoes (1990) HD
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:08 pm

The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:41 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:08 pm
This and Crimson Tide are in my top 10 favs :D

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:56 pm

I wrote a comment somewhere about The Hunt for Red October and being a fantastic movie. Gave my father the book to read. Still have his book with it marked up! He passed away shortly before the film was released. We would have seen it.

Glad I found a film you liked. He talked about Clancy back in the day. Met Clancy once at a book signing.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:17 pm

The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

OzBloke

Post by OzBloke » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:32 am

I am an unabashed Tom Clancy fan. (The early TC at least, the Jack Ryan formula got a bit worn out towards the end, and may of the later books were ghost written using TCs name :-( ).

I worked on ASW aircraft (P3s) while in uniform, and later on subs when in industry.
Tom Clancy was known for his research - IMHO, that (and his story telling prowess), absolutely make his books.
He absolutely NAILED the background on that one from both the ASW and submarine POV.

His other GREAT one is 'Red Storm Rising'.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:30 am

I can add a few things since you’re a fan.

In the mid 80’s, at that time, an early rising star, when Clancy released his first book (assuming it is) The Hunt for Red October, the way he was described, and largely the reason for his particular attention to detail, was his unparalleled access to military physical assets, personnel and the environment. In other words, he was at the center of the action which made his storytelling more exacting which was a big deal. He was given unmitigated access by the Pentagon which was a big deal. That’s how he was described.

I remember seeing an old article, I don’t have it anymore in Newsweek of his image on a battleship with hat and jacket delineating his identity as a military master storyteller.

I did meet him once. He greeted me. I greeted him back with a “sir.” He was at a bookstore signing autographs of his latest novel a few blocks from where I worked. It was convenient not having to travel far to meet him, though today, I appreciate Clancy more than I did back then, and had he lived, I’m sure the lines to meet him would have been much longer. I was able to get the book signed quickly. I sold that book at a later date for a profit.

Red Storm Rising has been recommended to me by some military members. You’re the second. Have the book and would like to get to it sometime.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:40 pm

IIRC he got taken in for a debriefing, as he seemed to know too much

Last bumped by jfko6 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:40 pm.
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.