D-Day 75th Anniversary

Military-related videos
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

D-Day 75th Anniversary

Post by jfko6 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 pm

The Normandy landings were the landing operations on Tuesday, 6 June 1944 of the Allied invasion of Normandy in Operation Overlord during World War II. Codenamed Operation Neptune and often referred to as D-Day, it was the largest seaborne invasion in history. The operation began the liberation of German-occupied France (and later western Europe) from Nazi control and laid the foundations of the Allied victory on the Western Front.

Planning for the operation began in 1943. In the months leading up to the invasion, the Allies conducted a substantial military deception, codenamed Operation Bodyguard, to mislead the Germans as to the date and location of the main Allied landings. The weather on D-Day was far from ideal and the operation had to be delayed 24 hours; a further postponement would have meant a delay of at least two weeks as the invasion planners had requirements for the phase of the moon, the tides, and the time of day that meant only a few days each month were deemed suitable. Adolf Hitler placed German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel in command of German forces and of developing fortifications along the Atlantic Wall in anticipation of an Allied invasion.

The amphibious landings were preceded by extensive aerial and naval bombardment and an airborne assault—the landing of 24,000 US, British, and Canadian airborne troops shortly after midnight. Allied infantry and armored divisions began landing on the coast of France at 06:30. The target 50-mile (80 km) stretch of the Normandy coast was divided into five sectors: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and Sword. Strong winds blew the landing craft east of their intended positions, particularly at Utah and Omaha. The men landed under heavy fire from gun emplacements overlooking the beaches, and the shore was mined and covered with obstacles such as wooden stakes, metal tripods, and barbed wire, making the work of the beach-clearing teams difficult and dangerous. Casualties were heaviest at Omaha, with its high cliffs. At Gold, Juno, and Sword, several fortified towns were cleared in house-to-house fighting, and two major gun emplacements at Gold were disabled using specialized tanks.
Source: Wikipedia. Accessed 06.06.19

Saving Private Ryan

Books and Films related to the Normandy Invasion

The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

jfko6

Re: D-Day 75th Anniversary

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:19 pm

Important reminder for everyone of the D-Day event. No one has impressed me yet by stating they read one of the above books.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:55 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:19 pm
Important reminder for everyone of the D-Day event. No one has impressed me yet by stating they read one of the above books.
Didn't realize we were supposed to try to impress you...
I've got a Masters Degree in Military History, I've read more books on D-Day and WW2 in general than I could care to count.
I also knew people growing up who landed on the British and Canadian beaches on D-Day
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:04 pm

Now you know.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:07 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:04 pm
Now you know.
And the purpose of that is?
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.