Ukrainian volunteer fighters opinion of US menu 18

Videos related to any rations
JediMindTricks

Ukrainian volunteer fighters opinion of US menu 18

Post by JediMindTricks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 am

Honest review of an US Brown Bag MRE by a Ukrainian soldier from a volunteer battalion, in eastern Ukraine. A BIG thanks to MREMountain for the giftpack.

I will use the name Misha to refer to my guest. He prefers not to be photographed, part of the job.
He's seen brown bag mre's on photos and when in training with US troops in 2016. Has wanted to try one.

We were trying menu 18.

He was weirded out by the spongy bread substance

Of course the famous Jalapeno cheese spread. He said it wasn't spicy enough.

The toaster Stwooodle (as he pronounced it) showed promise. He ate it after the main dish. Wasn't quite sure about the flavor, but liked the idea.

Beef stick, this he liked, wondered why it was so small? He said, did America run out of meat? He asked if its possible to make the meat less of a rubber tire consistency and more of a food consistency? Like actual dry meat, but not dehydrated to the max?

Raisins. fine.

The "substance" as Misha called it, with the cheese spread, was good. He enjoyed kneading the cheese and designing the most efficient way to get the whole pack of cheese onto 1 peice of bread

Misha is now convinced more than ever that all real american food is red in color either to start with, or ends up being red.

The Beef Ravioli he thought was quite good, not mushy, not just a puddle of different mushy substances.

He ate a few spoons with the main dish being just the way it is. By the way, unless we're complete idiots, we couldn't get the US FRH to work properly, was hot for 1-2 minutes, did not heat anything up.

I then recommended we add half of the Cheese spread to the ravioli. So we did, mixed it up real nice, and spread it on the spongy substance, twas pretty good. The cheese did thicken up the liquidy red sauce in the pouch. Misha said adding the cheese gave it a spicier tone, and he liked that. He said Russian and Ukrainian MREs dont offer anything spicy.

Misha was really surprised that there was 1 cold water beverage. The tropical base mix, was very weird. I added...barely 1/2 cup of water, and the packet had a crap full of powder, but the taste was almost bitter? orr.... like really old stale flat water with a bitter taste.
He thought each brown bag had a minimum of 5-6 drinks. he says doesn't have time for coffee. But cold water drinks, he said they wish the Russian mre's they capture from russian trenches and outposts don't have too much cold water drink mix either. As an athlete, he wishes all mre's had a lot more to drink. (beverage powder I mean, and he says variety matters)

He is surprised there isn't really too much you can just stuff in a pocket to keep your mouth busy when on patrol or sitting for hours looking through binoculars. He thought there would be a huge stick of something like beef jerky, or a couple power bars, a dispenser of glucose tablets. says that kind of stuff he expected in the American ration. He says they buy glucose tablets in bulk, and have tube in the vest all the time.

He is not impressed with the amount of food.

He is wondering, if the hot chow in the military is also all red?

He wanted to know if Marines, and the different Special Forces types, do they have unique meals?
Image Image Image

Delicious
eBay name: piograbo.g96x9if

Re: Ukrainian volunteer fighters opinion of US menu 18

Post by Delicious » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks for an interesting review. For me (as a person living in this part of the world) - these remarks are quite obvious, I mean - an average person from the street would say something similar
Have access to: Polish, French, UK, US, sometimes other.
Interested in:New Zealand, Jordan, Israel, any South America
Ration reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9H0e ... u9BsrZzK5g

Dvalin

Post by Dvalin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:19 am

Very cool review, thanks! I find these types of reviews very interesting.
Sounds like Misha might like one of our First Strike Rations better.

norge

Post by norge » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:51 pm

low amount of food: its normal to get 3 mres a day and even more in cold weather operations if not feed MCW that's issued 3 in one day.

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:08 pm

norge wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:51 pm
low amount of food: its normal to get 3 mres a day and even more in cold weather operations if not feed MCW that's issued 3 in one day.
yeah, I tried googling some info for him, he wanted to know if the US ever had 24hr mre's. I have shown him some of the vids that Steve1989 has from Vietnam and Korea, and I think one or two of those kits was bigger than just 1 meal.

Are the FRH's usually good in the brown bag rations? Ours didn't even bubble for 2 minutes, food was room temp, which is fine, we're just wondering for the sake of wondering.

Casey from MREMountain sent a MCW in the gift pack, Misha is taking it home with him, wants to show it off. Are the MCW's different simply because they have dehydrated mains?

------------Separate topic

These two photos I posted in another thread, these are the couple of photos Misha doesn't mind if shown. He customized his baby himself, by his baby, I mean his PKM.

This is his small detachment of guys at the outpost he was stationed for about 9 months.

Image Image Image

norge

Post by norge » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm

the frh have worked in my mres but now and then you van get a bad one...

the MCWs have freeze dried main meal and that's mostly the difference but are higher in calories

cheers ken

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 pm

If anyone is interested, this is not my friend, but it is his outpost. This is his understudy, every older soldier mentors a young soldier, helps them deal with war.

This monstrosity is made by them. I can't tell if this is the Dshk converted to a Sniper Rifle/Machine Gun, or the captured Russian Kord MG converted to Sniper Rifle. He says the kill range is around 1800 meters. They put this together in a week, and after testing it, correcting the sights, building a stable platform, they have no been using it for 8 months.

Image Image Image

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 am

Holy God, i dont know what that weapon is, but i dont want to be in front of it. Looks like a shoulder bruiser too. I dont see the rear bolt retraction handle that the dshk has, but they could have modified that part

Does the red tips indicate incendiary rounds, tracers (wouldnt make sense) or are they standard FMJs?

I have had mostly good luck with the frh with good heat for 15min, but some people add the salt pack to it to make it work better. The frh already contains some salt from what ive read. I have added more salt, to test the trick, but honestly couldnt tell much of a difference.

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:50 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 am
Holy God, i dont know what that weapon is, but i dont want to be in front of it. Looks like a shoulder bruiser too. I dont see the rear bolt retraction handle that the dshk has, but they could have modified that part

Does the red tips indicate incendiary rounds, tracers (wouldnt make sense) or are they standard FMJs?

I have had mostly good luck with the frh with good heat for 15min, but some people add the salt pack to it to make it work better. The frh already contains some salt from what ive read. I have added more salt, to test the trick, but honestly couldnt tell much of a difference.
I think they might be tracer rounds, I dont know honestly. My friend hasn't been answering texts as of late, way too many attacks everyday, he has no time.

Interesting idea about the salt. I never knew that could help.

Here's another monster they use.

Image Image Image

OtisRNeedleman

Post by OtisRNeedleman » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Let's hope all those guys stay safe.