Steve1989's Reviews Now on Youtube!

Videos related to any rations
steve1989
eBay name: -

Steve1989's Reviews Now on Youtube!

Post by steve1989 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:53 pm

Hey guys,

I have been doing reviews on MREinfo for a good while now - actually I have thousands more photos in my archives that will continue to be posted on this incredible website. But now, I am also doing Youtube reviews and I have posted 3 videos so far and am working to have 5 on by the end of this night.

I have posted an exclusive peek into a very rare Vietnam War-Era Survival Ration, a 1970 MCI (Where I even smoke a 45 year old Lucky Strike), and am working on a multiple-part RCW Review on YT (The first RCW to be fully documented on Youtube - very exciting).

Right now, I currently have only the Survival Ration DoP 1967, MCI DoP 1970, and the first part of the RCW (1992 DoP) on there and am at this moment uploading part 2 of the RCW review with only about 35 minutes remaining on the upload time.

I am just getting used to the whole thing - and the first 2 videos are totally un-edited and I will keep those that way - but the RCW videos are pretty well edited and all the following reviews will be the same. I will gradually get better at it as time goes on too.

I hope you guys enjoy the reviews I will be posting on there - I will be putting up exclusive and rare items as I always have on here - and hopefully I will get more folks over here to MREinfo in the process.

Thank you so much everyone for your support over the years, I couldn't have done it without you all.

Also, I just did a beautiful photo set of an unusual 2011 DoP Chinese PLA Army Ration and also took some pics of the 1967 Vietnam era Survival Ration so I will be sharing that tonight as well. Staying as busy as I can and wanting to contribute to this wonderful site that I love so much.

Also, thank you Kman for the upgraded website - it's amazing! And it has also been a huge part of this influx of inspiration on my part here. Ya gave me the kick I needed! :D

My Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et ... bWgJFiMeHA

The very amateurish introduction to YT videos starts with this Survival Ration (I shoulda started with something a tad less rare for practice purposes - but oh well!)

The MCI Review isn't the best - and I tend to ramble alot (always been that way - thankyou folks for dealing with my inconstant mania.. heheh)

And I only have part 1 ready on the RCW Review - working on editing for the B Component at this moment and all of it should be ready within 24 hours.

gschultz9

Re: Steve1989's Reviews Now on Youtube!

Post by gschultz9 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Hey Steve, welcome to the world of YouTube reviewing! I won't say welcome to the world of reviewing of course, as you've obviously been in that world for a long time already! I haven't had a chance to check out the videos yet, but went ahead and subscribed so I'll be aware whenever something posts. Looking forward to the video version of your awesome reviews. I mostly review pretty standard stuff on my channel, Kiwi Dude and Gundog4314 handle a lot of the international and harder to find stuff, and now we'll have you showing us all kinds of old and ultra-rare stuff. The online community just keeps getting better!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Hey gschultz! (Long reply sorry about that!)

Just got off work (Mondays are my busiest!) and came home and saw your reply.

Oh wow, that means a lot to me - thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! I am going to be really busy with providing YT video reviews of just what you said - the old and ultra-rare stuff!

I just uploaded a vid of opening and reviewing a 1992 case of "Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship" and I am doing another one from 1973 and it has cigarettes (Will absolutely have to enjoy those in the review as well, although not a regular smoker I have smoked quite a few MCI cigs and I save the packs as "trophies" of sorts. I usually enjoy them on vacations or camping trips as special occasions.).
Also have a South African Defense Forces Ration 1988 DoP that I'll fully review along with a Food Packet, Survival, SA-3 in mint condition from 1951.
Plus many more rare ones those are just what's next on the lineup.

Your vast works are amazing - I remember the first time I saw your videos was when I came across the "Comparing beef patty MRE's from 1986 and 2007" and I thought to myself "niiice someone else is trying out some of the old stuff!".

I have been quietly following your works since and videos like the MCW Menu 11, or the classic 40oz & Beef Patty, (man I am so jealous hahaha wish i could indulge like that but sadly nowadays I am unable to :( but I still watch yours and drool hehe )
the epic belch at 1:43 on M&M Bloopers... that should be recorded as a sound wav. and sold like the Wilhelm Scream for movies! In short, it's an honor to work side-by-side with what I like to call "The Big 3" and that is you - gschultz9, Gundog4314, and Kiwi Dude (oh man I shouldn't be leaving out The Boss, I don't want to feel the wrath.. hah!!).

One of my absolute favorite things about ya Mr. Schultz is that picture of you eating an MCI in your backyard when you were a kid - I have looked at that picture quite a few times and thought "man this is a guy who has been into this as a hobby and passion for a longer time than most of us!". I have loved Military Rations for most of my life as well - first time I had an MRE was in 1997 when I was 8 years old and I have been hooked ever since. I just wished my Mom or someone had taken a picture of me like that so I could share!

I would love to dive into another video tonight but I am a tad sleep deprived from the last few days of video making, crash course in video editing, and also the photos from Natick Food Labs I provided on the main MRE page here on MREinfo, plus a classic MRE review of a 2011 DoP Chinese PLA that I added to my International Ration thread here on MREinfo on the International Ration Review Board.. so that with work and I am a tad bit exhausted but it feels great really diving into this stuff!

I promise to do you guys proud, improve my video and editing quality, and deliver equally entertaining and informative reviews for folks of all ages to enjoy.

PS - if you are ever looking for a specific Ration, PM me - I will make it a mission to find it for you. :D

-steve

gschultz9

Post by gschultz9 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Thank you for YOUR kind words Steve! I appreciate that. It's certainly nice to feel appreciated here--at a forum full of people who are very well-versed in rations. I know well the feeling of taking a "crash course in video editing" as you mentioned. It's something I knew NOTHING about when I started posting videos and had to learn/teach myself slowly as I made the videos. It's kind of scary to see how bad some of the older videos came out before I knew what I was doing (not that I really know what I'm doing even now!). I'm still no "pro", but at least it seems competent enough (especially since I'm using a badly outdated version of iMovie). I'm really looking forward to seeing the videos you'll be putting out. It's obvious that you're excited about doing this. If I can give one bit of unsolicited advice, it would be to take your time. I know you have a LOT you want to share, show and say, but I'd hate to see you get burnt out with all the work and time involved in filming, editing and posting the videos. It sounds like you're already very busy with work and everything you post here.

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Hey gschultz,

I know how you feel on it being a really great thing to feel appreciated here - a forum with such fantastic people who have such vast knowledge on Military Rations! I remember when I first joined in 2010 (Actually I joined first time in 2005 was the 3rd person to join the forums but my account became inactive.. being a kid and doing things kids do I wasn't nearly as serious as I was when I came back again several years later) I had pretty limited knowledge in this field, and sometimes I still feel like the saying applies "the more I learn, the less I know" with this as there is just so much info to really learn and retain!

Heheh - the first 2 videos I did are totally UN-edited. I then realized I have that moviemaker program and am using that now.. I really need to get something better as time goes by! And sooner rather than later, because I really want to put together some interesting and imformative videos on unusual and obscure Rations! I hope to one day have even half of the fantastic and entertaining videos as you. I love your work and you really do have a calming effect that gives people positive vibes and you have very informative and entertaining reviews!

I agree, if I rush into this I might have a lower quality output, and I don't want to be shortchanging the audience with videos with obvious flaws that could have easily been fixed/avoided. Heck, I feel like I already kinda have and am learning as I go along. Hopefully I will be able to work out those bugs, per say. I am very thankful for your great advice and I'll follow it!
You are right, I feel absolutely exhilarated to branch out to YT videos and it feels great - but I want to do right by the audience with video reviews that are at least semi-professional and organized. I look at you as a professional and someone who does know what they are doing - and you do a terrific job with it. And you have provided a lot of people with consistent and quality entertaining information!

Thank you so much for the inspiring encouragement and advice! It means so much to hear from you and your thoughts on my work and your own as well! :D

elandil

Post by elandil » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 am

Hang on, hang on, hang on....imma let yall finish but...

(Sorry, couldnt help myself on that one... )

I can actually say i feel both your pain, i've tried to video some reviews and it just made me realize I can't pull it off with what I have at this time. I still have some clips of a awesome canadian ration unboxing a member sent, as well as the unboxing of my russian ration. Unfortunately, unboxing was as far as I got. I have a friend who has better stuff, and the film background to match, but getting us together long enough for the review is another story.

G,you were the first ration vid reviewer I found. You led me to Gundog, who led me to Kiwi, who led me to FlankerTanker....but you were the first who showed me what could be done. Ironically, its because of the vids I found out about this forum.I say thats ironic because i had visited MreInfo for years and never realized the forum existed that whole time... (Yes, im appropriately ashamed)

I am so looking forward to seeing what you put up in the future, Steve. Loved your reviews here, can't wait to actually see the things live.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Cool! I just subscribed to your YouTube channel, and look forward to checking them out!

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 pm

start of a saga
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Its already been almost 5 years since he started that channel it seems like 2 years where have the years gone
only god knew what empire of fans he would have in just 4 and a half years
thanks steve :D
Last edited by Militaryration_guy on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

HeinrichFuchs

Post by HeinrichFuchs » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:29 pm

Birth of an legend, if I do say so myself. Certainly opened my eyes to a world beyond US and our own rations, and have provided countless of hours of entertainment. Thank you, Steve!