1995 MRE Review - Ham Slice

Videos related to any rations
Deadheadmatt

1995 MRE Review - Ham Slice

Post by Deadheadmatt » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:29 pm

I’m back again with another MRE review. I am a glutton for punishment, so were are returning to the old brown bag MREs. This one was given to me by a buddy who swears it wasn’t stored in bad conditions. In reality, the majority of the MRE was edible and seemed in good condition. The problem with these old ones always lies in the milk based menu items, especially the cheese spread. This was the last year that Ham Slice was Menu #8, the next year, they’d start to transition to the more recognizable menus of the present and things would change. This particular was packed in early 1995, as there are a few components with very late 1994 dates.

The menu featured:

Ham Slice
Potatoes Au Gratin
Pound Cake - Chocolate Mint
Cheese Spread
Crackers
Iced Tea Beverage - Sugar Free
Hot Sauce
Hot Chocolate
Instant Coffee
Spoon (the more modern, longer brown one)
FRH - older style with messy carbon insert
Standard accessory item

Unlike the Potatoes that came with the Omelet, these seemed to be in much better condition. Still somewhat cheesy and the not reduced to mashed potatoes. The ham slice was in great shape. It looked like a small portion, but once out of the tray, I realized it was fairly thick. Great ham flavor, but a little salty. You definitely want the iced tea or water to drink with the meal.

Everything except for the cheese spread was edible. The pound cake was breaking down and I am not a fan of chocolate and mint. Crackers were good crumbled into the potatoes with ham and Tabasco mixed in!