2018 MRE Menu #16 Review - Chicken Burrito Bowl

Videos related to any rations
Deadheadmatt

Post by Deadheadmatt » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:12 pm

I’m back and decided to review an MRE that is younger than 30 years. I’ve got some 2018 MREs that are from some pretty favorable menus and wanted to give my stomach a breach from the science projects I’ve done the last few times. Menu #16 from 2018 is a favorite of many. The Chicken Burrito Bowl contents go well with each other and make for a hearty meal, maybe more a lunch than dinner, that satisfies. The Flameless Ration Heater in this one under-performed, but the food tasted good and didn’t need much extra in the way of spices. Everything in the MRE was still within specs and edible and made for a decent meal at home and would have been great if you were far from home.

This menu featured:

Chicken Burrito Bowl (Chicken with Rice, Beans and Vegetables)
Baked Snack Crackers (Cheese It squares)
Filled Bakery Item (Apple Turnover, Shelf Stable)
Tortillas
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Hot Sauce
Lemon-Lime Beverage Powder
Accessory Packet C (included Coffee, Non-dairy Creamer, Gum, Salt, TP, Wet-nap and Splenda)

The only down side I could see with this menu was that it seemed to be lacking one extra side or snack, making it more appropriate for a lunch than dinner. Maybe a shake or candy would have filled it out. I’m also not a fan of the Lemon-Lime drink mix. It always seems to taste pretty weak and artificial.

I’ve got some more MREs from the early 1990s, including some from a buddy that include the Ham Slice and dreaded Tuna with Noodles. I think I need some extra shots before I can test those, so we may do some of the foreign rations we’ve tracked down next, either a Spanish lunch ration or a French 24-hours ration. I also have a two different First Strike Rations, new production to sample.
Feel free to comment and like (or dislike) the video. Subscribe if you want to see what I try in the future. Thanks for watching.

Also check out a recent review I did of Craft Holster’s Double Magazine Pouch and Gun Belt: