1980's Newtro US Coast Guard Ration

Videos related to any rations
BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

1980's Newtro US Coast Guard Ration

Post by BTemple » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 am

The contents of this one were a little different than any other Newtro I've seen reviewed. Too bad it was in horrible shape.
I've had a lot of bad luck lately with vintage rations!

In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Re: 1980's Newtro US Coast Guard Ration

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Arghh that thing was so highly oxidized and rancid that nothing is even worth trying unless you are desperate for some sorta masochistic experience... Well ya still got a nice can there. Not sure as to when those Newtros were no longer made or changed altogether from that component lineup.

Not built to last and the biscuits wouldn't be too great to eat if low on water.
Perhaps there is a high palm oil or shortening content to the biscuits that help them go down with less water - would answer to why they go rancid so badly too along with a moisture content that is too high. Not being properly wrapped and no dessicant packets wither from what I can see.
Also, there might not be enough BHA and BHT powdered on em.. but then again there might be crap tons of that stuff on there and it didn't even act as enough of an antioxidant and moisture preventative to even make a difference - and being canned up with the rest of it along with all that loose space..

Not a very well made survival ration for long term storage or maximizing space. And in terms of components, a super throwback. Those biscuits remind me of the ones I've seen in a few photos in my collection of 11 Army enlisted men testing what are pretty much the same kind of fortified biscuits - living off them and water for a couple weeks or so - but this was in 1948. Much less thirst provoking, nutritious, and longer lasting food bars were in emergency rations by this era of the ration you just shared in that vid - and jelly bars, malted milk tabs, fortified biscuits, etc were already a thing of the past.
Last edited by steve1989 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Attachments
20200129_155916.jpg

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 pm

steve1989 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:08 pm
Arghh that thing was so highly oxidized and rancid that nothing is even worth trying unless you are desperate for some sorta masochistic experience... Well ya still got a nice can there. Not sure as to when those Newtros were no longer made or changed altogether from that component lineup.

Not built to last and the biscuits wouldn't be too great to eat if low on water.
Perhaps there is a high palm oil or shortening content to the biscuits that help them go down with less water - would answer to why they go rancid so badly too along with a moisture content that is too high. Not being properly wrapped and no dessicant packets wither from what I can see.
Also, there might not be enough BHA and BHT powdered on em.. but then again there might be crap tons of that stuff on there and it didn't even act as enough of an antioxidant and moisture preventative to even make a difference - and being canned up with the rest of it along with all that loose space..

Not a very well made survival ration for long term storage or maximizing space. And in terms of components, a super throwback. Those biscuits remind me of the ones I've seen in a few photos in my collection of 11 Army enlisted men testing what are pretty much the same kind of fortified biscuits - living off them and water for a couple weeks or so - but this was in 1948. Much less thirst provoking, nutritious, and longer lasting food bars were in emergency rations by this era of the ration you just shared in that vid - and jelly bars, malted milk tabs, fortified biscuits, etc were already a thing of the past.
Wow... living off fortified biscuits and water for a couple weeks all in the name of military food science research sounds like a horrible way to spend your time.

Yeah luckily this Newtro didn't cost an exorbitant amount of money, otherwise I would be more disappointed in how everything turned out. The internal packaging of the plastic was strange and not built to last at all, and once one item was compromised, it would easily spread to everything else.
At least I get to say I found one and reviewed one. Hahaha
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Biscuits_Brown

Post by Biscuits_Brown » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Oh, that one was definitely suboptimal. Bravely on.
Come on in my kitchen, it's going to be raining outdoors.

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:56 pm

BTemple wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 pm
Wow... living off fortified biscuits and water for a couple weeks all in the name of military food science research sounds like a horrible way to spend your time.
Hey man, speak for yourself. ;)

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 am

Would have been the perfect time to test that theory when he was stranded on Snow Island last week, haha
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 am

Smitty wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 am
Would have been the perfect time to test that theory when he was stranded on Snow Island last week, haha
Man, I certainly wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... 8 days in State of Emergency was not fun. Hahaha especially with a baby and a toddler in the house.