Camera angle's

Videos related to any rations
andybullyukmre

Camera angle's

Post by andybullyukmre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Not sure if this is the section to be posting this , But looking for a little help with camera angle's for videoing my reviews

As i'm new i'm trying out different angle's

What do you guys do , I'm trying to get a backdrop in but using a tripod on a table and a Samsung s9 phone to video the review ,When i 1st started i was using a mini tripod, But have purchased a different tripod which goes higher and used it for the 1st time today, I find when i press the record button in video section on the phone it zooms in automatically but i cannot zoom out , So you cannot see the backdrop, In today's video which is currently uploading to YT i have decided to go above the ration pack and tray with the tripod on the table at its smallest height , Just looking for a little advice

Smitty

Re: Camera angle's

Post by Smitty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:14 pm

This is actually one of my favourite parts about the whole experience of filming them. I've never done anything like it, so have been experimenting myself, and watching other videos to get a feel for what's been done. Though just because it's being done by some of the heavily subscribed channels doesn't mean it works for you, or even is the best. I've made three videos so far and still playing around with stuff. Video one was done on a coffee can :D. Keep at it and never stop learning!

There's so much cool stuff to think about as well, like lighting, effects, editting, audio, etc.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

andybullyukmre

Post by andybullyukmre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Smitty , Thanks for the reply, Trying to get my own style into the videos but i'm also new so also experimenting , I suppose it is whatever you are comfortable with

I also use a video editing software to add opening pictures and also the video

Whats your YT channel and i'll take a look ? EDIT* Just looked at your channel , Like your style , Have not seen a reviewer other than Steve1989 show their face ?? Have subbed to your channel , Hope you sub to mine

Would love to try one of those IMP's you have

Would love to review an IMP but with the ration and shipping its quite expensive :(

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Hey andy and smitty. I think we are the "new review guys" so I'll be glad to share what I'm doing with you fine fellows... Obviously, inspiration taken from steves and other similar setups. Camera angle is continuing to be difficult. Where you want the closest possible shot but you still need to fit everything into the frame. I know the struggle. I'm doing probably only 18 inches from my tray at about a 40-60 degree angle. The photo below was exactly how I was just filming my latest video. Maybe just seeing someone else's will help. No idea what I'm doing exactly. Just trying my best. I feel like the last video or two of mine has been close to what I'm going for.

20190222_181508[1].jpg
I'm using a old computer desk, with two desk lamps for lighting (as well as a ceiling fan and another lamp across the room) that are never shown in frame. I still desire some direct lighting from about where the camera is but I've had trouble with glare so the setup right now is working "alright". Black matte paper board to provide contrast to the items being shown. As far as camera setup goes. I was a musician in a past life so I converted a boom microphone stand with a 5/8" to a 1/4" (sorry imperial units) into a smartphone camera mount. I'm shooting at 1080p 30fps on a galaxy s9 with no zoom. I have a secondary camera to take still photos (if I remember). For video editing I was using Open Shot Pro which is an open source free software that I was very impressed with but have just made the jump to adobe premier. Only downfall of the boom stand microphone is that I still want to get an attenuating piece that the camera mount, mounts on so I can do finer adjustments right at the camera mount and not have to mess with the entire boom arm.

Really enjoying the new hobby and I hope you guys are too!

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Haha I suppose we are some of the many new faces here. All I can say it that I'm standing on the shoulder's of giants. I don't really have any aims to grow much more in the way of views and subs. I just want to master a new skill while I pick away at some rations :D

Here's a shot of what I did in a pinch for my last video. Just was late at night in my reloading basement.
Image from iOS (1).jpg
I'm shooting it all with my Panasonic Lumix. Just what I had, but been super, and with a maaaaaasive optical zoom, I don't have to worry so much.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

andybullyukmre

Post by andybullyukmre » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Looking at your setup Rare and smitty has been a help, its similar to what i do as well but i just use the ceiling light at the moment , I have white card for the back drop , considering getting white card to rest the rations and tray on as well , i use quite a high table (breakfast bar) or something we call a pasting table ( for decorating)

I liked where you put up a picture with a list of items

I also use a Samsung s9 and use a camera phone tripod , Its all about trial , error and experimenting

I use software called VSDC Video editor

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 am

Dang smitty! That camera looks legit... you could do some macro close ups with that analog zoom capability! Show that texture! I could see having the camera above like that would be nice. I'm always have to dodge around my camera stand since its right in front of me but I'm getting use to it!

Thanks andy, I'm trying to provide some history/purpose for each ration. That russian commercial IRP was a bit of an oddball so I wanted to show how it compared to a true military version. Basically it was almost the same... I wonder if all the crackers are that hard though... geez.

Andy, I just watched your 12 hour british ration.. I liked how you added a bit of the rations purpose at the beginning of the video. That tika masalla looked awfully good.

andybullyukmre

Post by andybullyukmre » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Tikka Masala was really nice and tasty , Recommend in you both trying one if you can get your hands on one