British Single Meal Ration Menu No.8

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
michel2827
eBay name: onkelcarsten

British Single Meal Ration Menu No.8

Post by michel2827 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi Guys,

starting my second review today. Normally i got not enought time to make a review, but at the moment i have enough time because i have to stay at home. I broke my right food some days ago. So i started to make a little review of a british single meal ration. I choosed menu no.8. It's production date is 08/2017. It comes in a clear zip lock back from the MoD. Got it on ebay for a fair price.

here's the content list.

as we have

Spicy Sausages & Potato Wedges
Strawberry/Banana/Applefruit Puree
Smooth Peanut Butter
BBQ Peanuts
Dark Chocolate Chip Biscuits
Strawberry Flavour Fortified Drnk Powder 2x
3in1 Coffee
3in1 Tea
Tissues
Wet Wipes
Assorted Chewing Gums (Peppermint Flavour)
Spork
Re-useable Zip Lock Bag
Flameless Ration Heater

all packed out on the table

i began this morning with a cup of coffee, dark Chocolate Chip Biscuits, some smooth peanut butter and a Strawberry Flavour Fortified Drink Powder. The biscuits taste very good. They had some chocolate chips inside as well as some oat i think. And although i'm not a big fan of peanut butter, this one tasted very good. The 3in1 coffee was very pleasent. It was not to strong, not to weak and not to sweet. Well balanced.

First i thought the strawberry drinks would have a very strong flavour, because when i opened the ration bag there was a very strong strawberry flavour in it that came frome the fortified drinks. So I mixed up the first one and tasted it but the taste was ok. Not that strong strawberry taste as i thought it would have. It was very pleasent. Not to sweet and it had a mild taste of strawberry.

then i starded dinner this evening. Took out the flameless ration heater. The brand was "Beyond the Beaten Track". It is a bigger one than in the US MRE's and it has a little adhesive strip to close it during the heating process. The pouch with the main fitted inside with no problem. I did everything as told on the Instruction and it worked very well and heated the main very good.

here's Dinner. Spicy Sausages, with Potato wedges and black eyed peas, some BBQ Peanuts, a cup of 3in1 tea, the second fortified strawberry drink and the apple/banana/strawberry puree as desert.

some sausage with black eyed peas

potato wedges

some BBQ Peanuts

the Sausages with potato wedges tasted very very good. So far the best i got in any british ration. The Sausages and the beans had a spicy flavour and the potato wedges were well done. They had a nice bite, not to squishy.
The BBQ Peanuts were not my taste. Don't like the taste of BBQ Flavour. So i only tasted some of them. To me they had not that typical BBQ flavour i know. The 3in1 tea was not that good. It could have been a bit stronger. It was more like drinking some hot water with a bit of taste and coffee whiterner. The tea was a little bit disappointing. I had better rations teas in british 24 hour rations.

than i took the fruit puree for desert. I has the consistency of a baby food puree and if i don't know better that it is apple/banana/strawberry flavour i would say i only tasted like apple.

and last but not least the V6 chewing gum peppermint flavour. 2 briquettes of it inside

So this is it for now. Hope you like it.
Tried lots of foreign rations from Europe and Northern America. Want to try Asian and South American rations

Rahzmataz

Re: British Single Meal Ration Menu No.8

Post by Rahzmataz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Looks good, I had a 24 hour ORP and really liked it. For the fruit puree stuff, the colour of the cap tells you what flavour it is. Match that to the back of the pack and you'll get your answer!
Tried - British 24hr ORP, Polish S-RG-5, Russian 24hr Ration
Currently eating - French RCIR

michel2827

Post by michel2827 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Rahzmataz. Thanks for the advice with the coloured caps. I know about the colours before. I have tried a 24h ORP before.
Tried lots of foreign rations from Europe and Northern America. Want to try Asian and South American rations

Rahzmataz

Post by Rahzmataz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Whoops, I misread your post and thought you were stuck on what flavour it was. My bad!
Tried - British 24hr ORP, Polish S-RG-5, Russian 24hr Ration
Currently eating - French RCIR

Dvalin

Post by Dvalin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for the review, that main looks awesome! I wan't one of those coffee cups :mrgreen:

michel2827

Post by michel2827 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 am

Dvalin wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:46 pm
Thanks for the review, that main looks awesome! I wan't one of those coffee cups :mrgreen:
The coffee mug is from german tank museum. It has Tiger I, Kingtiger, Leopard 1&2 printed on :mrgreen: