Spanish Individual Combat Ration - Lunch A2 (Menu A No. 2)

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
WaltherClassic

Spanish Individual Combat Ration - Lunch A2 (Menu A No. 2)

Post by WaltherClassic » Tue May 01, 2018 5:36 pm

This is just a general overview of the contents of the Spanish Individual Combat Ration, Lunch menu A number 2. I won't give anything more than the most basic opinion of the food as my subjective opinion is not particularly valuable, I'll try and stick to objectives only. I found at least one other review of this ration here. All pictures contained in this post and some extras can be found here.

The only consumable things I can think that this ration is missing are bread or biscuits and tea or coffee. Bread like substances to spread the quince on or dip in your stew are the biggest omission. This is not enough to detract from the ration as I brought my own bread to the meal :) The ration consists of what is shown and listed below:
IMG_0320.JPG
Contents overview
IMG_0330.JPG
Info English/French
Non-consumable items included with the ration are in the attachments. It includes everything you may need. Hygiene products (10 sheets of toilet paper, toothpaste, disinfectant, water purification tablets for 2 litres) and fire making equipment (foldable stove, 3 (hexamine?) fuel tablets and matches). In my opinion there should have been a French style can handle for the stew, but that's a minor omission.

For the entrée I chose the dehydrated soup, it is a fairly common cup soup, mildly (chicken) flavoured and with small meat bits and conchiglie pastas. I overfilled my mug by about 1 dl so I didn't get the best result from the soup.
IMG_0368.JPG
Dehydrated soup powder
IMG_0369.JPG
Soup
For the main course I had the stew. This "Galician Stew" had a healthy amount of meat, a couple of cuts from at least two different animals (cow and pig), some chorizo I think and some pork fat. Vegetable matter included beans, green vegetables and potatoes. The broth was simple, fatty and complimented well the flavours of the rest of the ingredients.
It heated up easily in the can using the provided stove and didn't leave any burnt food in the bottom. Overall the flavour was not offensive and tasted fine, no sign of any problems with packaging or transport (the can had taken an impact in transit).
IMG_0324.JPG
Stew can bottom
IMG_0375.JPG
Stew cooked
For accompaniment is the squid (this was probably meant to be had before the main course, after the soup). The squid were clean, firm, fresh tasting (again this can had taken damage in transit) but not rubbery. They were in a sauce of ink and some unknown vegetable matter. They had a couple of bits of slight hardness (not grittiness like sand), probably from the arms.
IMG_0325.JPG
Squid can bottom
IMG_0373.JPG
Squid served
For dessert was the quince jam, on (non-authentic) bread. This is a very thick and smooth jam, more like a thick quince jelly or quince butter. Spread very easily and tasted as I imagine it should. I got a hint of prune in the jam for some reason.
IMG_0331.JPG
Quince jam unopened
IMG_0380.JPG
Quince jam on bread
As for consumable accessories, the chewing gum was soft with a mild peppermint flavour, quite a large lump and good for its intended purpose. The isotonic drinks were very similar to French ones, very little flavour, a little salty, but there to do a job and that's all.
IMG_0336.JPG
Isotonic drink and chewing gum packet
IMG_0381.JPG
Chewing gum
All in all this is a decent ration, likely gives you what is needed nutrients wise, but could have a little extra for comfort. The food included was very well made and tasted as it should and didn't offend any tastes. In my opinion, certainly superior to the US and UK rations. Not quite as good as the French rations though.

archapma-0
eBay name: archapma-0

Re: Spanish Individual Combat Ration - Lunch A2 (Menu A No. 2)

Post by archapma-0 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Very well done. Great review.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 pm

WaltherClassic wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:36 pm
The only consumable things I can think that this ration is missing are bread or biscuits and tea or coffee. Bread like substances to spread the quince on or dip in your stew are the biggest omission. This is not enough to detract from the ration as I brought my own bread to the meal :)
Well they get 2 packs of crackers per day, since breakfast ration have sweet crackers you don't get 3 packs. Just for lunch and dinner rations.

WaltherClassic

Post by WaltherClassic » Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Asger wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 pm
WaltherClassic wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:36 pm
The only consumable things I can think that this ration is missing are bread or biscuits and tea or coffee. Bread like substances to spread the quince on or dip in your stew are the biggest omission. This is not enough to detract from the ration as I brought my own bread to the meal :)
Well they get 2 packs of crackers per day, since breakfast ration have sweet crackers you don't get 3 packs. Just for lunch and dinner rations.
Ahh, thanks very much for the information.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse » Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am

Love the precision: " I overfilled my mug by about 1 decaliter".

Not sure I would have put that squid in my mouth, not just because I don't care for it. Damn that stuff is ugly looking.
-------------------------------------
Offence cannot be given, only taken.

WaltherClassic

Post by WaltherClassic » Fri May 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Apocalypse wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am
Love the precision: " I overfilled my mug by about 1 decaliter".

Not sure I would have put that squid in my mouth, not just because I don't care for it. Damn that stuff is ugly looking.
You should see some Finnish food :|
archapma-0 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:04 pm
Very well done. Great review.
Thanks.

LaSwede
eBay name: LaGaurdian

Post by LaSwede » Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm

WaltherClassic wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:20 pm

You should see some Finnish food :|

What finnish food are you refering at? I got a little curious :P
Have access to several different Swedish rations.

Looking for:
Italian, Canadian, Spanish, Japanese and any from south america.

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm

What an interesting ration. Great review!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

LaSwede
eBay name: LaGaurdian

Post by LaSwede » Fri May 04, 2018 6:21 pm

WorkmanMRE wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm
What an interesting ration. Great review!
I forgot to mention an awesome review as well! As workman said it's interesting, with the squid and all :P
Have access to several different Swedish rations.

Looking for:
Italian, Canadian, Spanish, Japanese and any from south america.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Happy you liked it! The squid is an aquired taste XD in spain people pretty much love it or hate it... I think too that the ration should have a bit more of confort in my opinion, adding flavour to the drink or adding cofee... But the soldiers seem pretty happy with the rations, as the food is like the one you would get at home from your mother, slow cooked stews, with chunks of meat, meatballs and dishes like that...
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar