Vintage Yugoslavia Suvi Dnevni Obrok JNA (YPA ration)

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
[ex-Member1]

Re: Vintage Yugoslavia Suvi Dnevni Obrok JNA (YPA ration)

Post by [ex-Member1] » Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Found two pictures on ex-YPA soldiers forum

SDO-A On this one cans are obviously already eaten, but you can see the crackers and what it seems to be grape sugar (glucose/dextrose) tabs.

SDO-D liver pate, melted cheese, mistery can, vitamin C bonbons, domestic tea extract

Norton

Post by Norton » Mon May 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Is this a field stove?
JNA.jpg
JNA.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 10466 times

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Mon May 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Yes it is, they used AGOR for heating the meals in the field. AGOR stands short for Alkoholno Gorivo, in English alcohol fuel.
IMG_0695.jpg

Norton

Post by Norton » Mon May 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Asger wrote:Yes it is, they used AGOR for heating the meals in the field. AGOR stands short for Alkoholno Gorivo, in English alcohol fuel.
Thank you for the photo :D
I have never seen this unit,
Was this meant to be used until empty and discarded or could it be refilled and used over and over again
Military field stoves are of great interest to me and many others all over the world.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 am

Hey Norton, i think most similar thing is Swiss Notkocher M71.

Inside was alcohol gel but good mostly to heat up the food like cans etc. not so for cooking something. As far as I know this is not can that can be refilled (but I don't really know for sure!) I guess price would be similar to 1USD. On the instructions written on it it says that food will be heated up in 3-7 minutes. After that you just need to put out the flame (turn it upside down) and after one minute close the lid. It was still used in new formed countries after fall of Yugoslavia.

Image Image

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 pm

That AGOR stove honestly looks like some type of munition! If I came across that on the battlefield I would be very weary!

CRO CSO

Post by CRO CSO » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:44 am

cavguy wrote:That AGOR stove honestly looks like some type of munition! If I came across that on the battlefield I would be very weary!
yes yes u can use it like Molotov cocktail if u need it hahahahahaha..;)

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:00 pm

So I went outside today to open SDO ration in case it smells bad, took my JNA mess kit too to keep it real.

And...just in case I took Yugoslav Army gas mask (and handy Swedish first aid kit)

This is everything opened. I think it looks very cool. I even used cardboard as a table.

AND this is mystery can content. Vegetables and meat. I can bet this one was great meal heated up back in the days. Meat looked good even today, no trace of anything going bad and I did separated it with knife very easily. Only thing that had some strange evil smell, I guess fat in it combined with some vegetable inside going bad made this mix of very damp smell that went straight into my skin and memory. Only thing that comes to my mind will be known to some of you, a smell of blood in hot humid weather. I wish I had mask on or cigarette filters or tampoons in my nose.

Tea. Couln't dissolve properly but I used cold, not hot water from the canteen. Had very very light aroma that reminded me of rosehip tea. I wanted to drink it, but didn't had courage.

Sardines. The best preserved thing in the box in my opinion. Oil was still oily, sardines looked good. They even had that familiar sardines smell, Bob would love it!

Meat luncheon / spam. Only after I took everything in a trash bag and started heading back I remembered I didn't cut this with knife to see inside of it... looked fine, the smell was also very light meaty. Not bad smell but not exactly good. BTW that yellow stuff is from the mystery can when I cut piece of it didn't know what to do with it so I put it on the luncheon...

Orange flavored bonbons bacame sticky paste. Fruit cake looked like a dry sponge - with no smell whatsoever!

Video will be up soon.

Norton

Post by Norton » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Great photos
Interesting review and seeing JNA rations in their unique mess kit is outstanding.
This is the first time I have seen rations from former Yugoslavia in such a Detailed fashion.
The meat looked good even after these years have past.
With hat said I went to the international store and bought some canned Croatian lunch meat.
I will post or send a PM after I try it in the field.
By the way I liked the Swedish First aid kit's camouflage cover. They have a pattern like no one else in the world

Yowie

Post by Yowie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:21 pm

Great work Asger, really good photo's
That all almost looked edible. :wink: It constantly amazes me how rations stand up to the test of time.
Yowie