Romanian Ration prototype test Menue 1 Halal

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
sw342pd
eBay name: sw342pd

Romanian Ration prototype test Menue 1 Halal

Post by sw342pd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks to Adrian aka ak70g2 I got some romanian rations he made by himself!
He is using shelf stable food preserves buyable in the romanian supermarkets.
In my opinion a good idea to put some items together to have a ration right by the hand for on the go... :D

Here is a taste and allover test of the ration type 1 - without pork - halal
nearly all products used have nutrition information, so I`ll give you - as I found on the label - the content weight in gramms and energy value in kcal.

1 x content sheet

1 x chocolate Rom Tricolor 45gr - 215kcal
good taste, but personally I don`t like flavoured chocolate - better use a dark chocolate, because in warm conditions, this soft interieur of this bar can melt!

1 x Star sesame, honey, peanuts stick - 195kcal
good taste, much of calories, but a good alternative dessert version for chocolate - not everybody like sesame - I found it tasty - good Idea!

1 x drinking kit
Coffee - good taste,
tea - Lipton - what shall I say!
hot chocolate - not very rich as in other rations, but not too bad - tastes a bit like caramel - but OK for me!

1 x auxililiary kit - did not open it, but complete - good item!
P3232143.JPG
Overall view on the whole, very complete ration - sugar not shown!
P3232147.JPG
1 x Knorr - Croutons Vegetable creme soup - 88 kcal
P3232148.JPG
Soup powder right out of the bag into a deep dish, waiting for a hot tub ;-)
P3232150.JPG
Very good and tasty product - wish it was more than only one cup portion - but almost enough for a ration! Great item! I should have used more water, but it was melty and creamy - hmmm
P3232149.JPG
1 x Crackers Tuc 100gr - as known all over the world!
In my opinion good bisquits, but to salty - better to use some without salt - I think the thirst comes up to much under warm conditions. And they`re not very hard, so they break easy under rought conditions.
P3232145.JPG
1 x vegetable spread Bucegi 100gr - 274kcal - 28gr fat!!!
A very tasty and delicious spicy spread - great on the bisquits - but - in my opinion - too much fat - the spread from the UK rations are less in fat - but not so tasty!
P3232146.JPG
1 x Chicken meat Hame 300gr - 585 kcal
The smell and taste was good - I ate it cold on a TUC bisquit but it was much to much - in my opinion this portion is too big even for a warfighter - too much meat.
P3232151.JPG
1 x Beef Goulash Carrefour 300gr - 309kcal
As I knew "Carrefour" from France as a very good discounter chain, I expected this as an very good item - but here comes the truth: :cry:
after opening the tin, it looks not bad and the smell was typically for a ready dish meal - I microwaved it and after opening the microwave door, there was the first very bad odor - it stinks like the back door of a cow :oops: - like manure!! The more I smell, the smore it stinks. I even has tried a little bit - and it was bad - hell of bad - the meat was leathery, hardy, even tough - not edible!
I had to waste it - Adrian, please do not put this item again in a ration - did you have tasted it before? It`s not on you, it`s a bad reputaion for the manufacturer!
P3232152.JPG
cold goulash - right out of the tin onto the dish - ready for heating...
P3232153.JPG
Heated "Goulash Stinky Style" ready for my In-sink-errator... byebye
:evil:

Summary:
All in all a good ration, but here and there are some points to improve - even in taste and less fat! Also in my opinion it should have an cold isotonic drink mix in it!
The main dishes with 300gr are OK, but the quality of the gulash was worst - the 300gr chicken meat is to much - and too single - only meat, no vegetables or sides.
For storage and transport you need better bags or a small cardbox, because the TUC bisquits are all broken - in all 3 rations - if you eat outdoors, you will use a bisquit to put meat or spread on it, instead of a dish!

cheers,
Lars aka sw342pd
"forge ahead"

Name_not_found

Re: Romanian Ration prototype test Menue 1 Halal

Post by Name_not_found » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Good Review good pics, thanks for posting!

Good Job ak70g2 a very strong start!

(Some suggestions below, feel free to ignore)

Great choice with the rom bar, good morale booster, although it may melt it would still taste good

Test items to determine ones that don't make you thirsty, see if you can eat an entire item from the ration with out a drink, make note how thirsty you are.
(especially for the crackers being the main carb's you would be consuming them with each meal)

It important to balance the energy, USA rations use in general 13%protein 35%fat 52%carbs
(I would be happy with more protein and less carbs, there was a great post somewhere here about that)

A small jelly or jam would be welcomed as well as some kind of after meal mint or gum

Nice work
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 am

Romanian (and russian)/east-european cuisine is very heavy on meat and fat, we don't have the "low fat" obssesion, butg two others: low temperature/cold ressistance (when fat comes handy) and proteins (muscle build, romanian soldiers are expected to carry all their gear in a backpack on foot).

Regarding that goulash, I had one, was ok, so I suppose was only a defective can. But I'll change with some chicken with peas, because is not my first pick.

I've tried to use only romanian made things, those familiar to our soldiers, to both feed the and lifting the spirit.

Thank you very much for the review! :D
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:43 am

Hi,
that's strange for the goulash, I often have some Carrefour entrées of the same style (lentils & sausages, "cassoulet" style baked bean with duck for lunch ...today) and they are always very good, ever better that the RCIR entrées. Maybe a spoiled can or the local contractor doesn't meet the original quality level :|
In principio erat spamum

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I believe those 'pop-top' cans are the problem, Its very easy for the seam to crack.
I had a can of cat food crack open once, but it took a while to find it, as it looked ok... Phew! :?
It doesn't take much to crack them, either. Just a bit of weight on top.
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

sw342pd
eBay name: sw342pd

Post by sw342pd » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi there,

first I would appologize for Adrian - but he cannot anything for the bad taste of the gulash.
I know Carrefour France and when I`m in France, it`s my favourite store to shop.
This can was OK and wasn`t popped or so - When opening the can, the smell was great and typically for canned food.
After heating it, the meat stinks, the meat was tough and very dark - I believe, this was bad quality meat in there - maybe a lot where they used no good meat, but I couldn`t eat, even the taste test and chewing on a piece of that stinking meat was horrible - I had to waste it.

It hasn`t anything to do with Adrain and his project - he wants me to taste test his very good ration, but that meal was bad. The chicken meat made me carefully but was very good!

Lars
"forge ahead"

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:38 am

Lars, not need to apologize, brother, as I said, is a prototype. I want to thank you very much to be my crash test dummy. I'll publish you opinion on a military related forum/website where I wrote and look for some opinions about my rations from romanian mountain troops, to share here. More opinions, more good help for me. Maybe Romanian Army will make some official rations for her soldiers :D

PS. I hope that two others left will be better :D
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Mihai88

Post by Mihai88 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:59 pm

As a Romanian I'd suggest these two alternatives for the biscuits and chocolate, they are more popular, and tasty(and also last much more):

You can easily find these types of biscuits everywhere and they last at least 2-3 years(probably more in dry conditions), they are semi-hard and with no special flavor added(not salty either).

Instead of "ROM" I recommend "Africana"(there is a hard-dark version for this chocolate which is more useful, and still has a decent taste, but I couldn't find an image with that):

As someone already posted, in Eastern Europe we prefer fatty foods, because it's very cold here in the winter(and in the autumn, and in the spring... the summers are very hot, surprisingly), so I'd rather fill up faster with fatty food than with non-fatty Western food.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Welcome to forums and thank you for the review and pictures from the sunny, 29°C side of the world :D

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:29 am

very cool. thanks for the review
Image Image Image