Polish S Type Ration

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Polish S Type Ration

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:33 am

S6.package.jpg
Polish S6 - Package
Before I start the actual review I have to mention that I found this post where Donald listed the components for the Polish S Type Rations in English. Either it's changed slightly since then or that list wasn't complete, although it was complete where it counted :mrgreen: What I had was an S6, and it consisted of:
S6.all.components.jpg
Polish S6 - All Components
100g Can Chicken Loaf
100g Can Pork Pate
2 45g Packages of Hard Bread
25g Package of Jam
100g Tube of Condensed Milk
30g Package of Raspberry (?) Drink
Teabag
2 Packets of Coffee
Packet of Sugar
Stick of Gum
Coffee Flavored Hard Candy
Vitamin C Hard Candy
Napkin, Plastic Bag, Fork, Knife and Coffee Stirrer

The matches were odd - all one piece of balsa wood with mild hints of perforation.

Before I found the contents of the ration I'd been putting off doing this review until I knew what I'd be eating. It wasn't so much that I was afraid of Polish cooking (I grew up in a heavily Polish influenced part of Pennsylvania, no problem!), it was more that I wanted to eat the ration as provided and wasn't sure if it was meant to eat cold or hot. The Polish S Type Rations don't come with a flameless heater or esbit stove or any other means of heating up the food so I wondered if they're meant to be boiled in the can or just eaten cold. Knowing now what they contain it makes a good deal more sense and is obvious that they're meant to be no-prep items eaten without heating them.
S6.meal.jpg
Polish S6 - Meal
I'm a huge fan of pate's of just about any variety (except lobster - tried that recently and found it good for about one bite only). The Pork pate here was no exception, it was fabulous! I thought it tasted alot like Braunschweiger. The Chicken Loaf was a bit less appetizing right out of the can, but ended up tasing all in all quite good. It reminded me quite a bit of SPAM, if eaten cold right out of the can. I bet it would have tasted a bit better fried up like spam but in going for authenticity I held off on the stove.

I had one of the biscuits with the pate and thought they paired excellently. I had another with the chicken (good combo), a third with the jam (grand!) and the fourth covered in sweetened condensed milk. I'd seen Big_jo's review of a Polish W Type Ration here and figured the combination was worth a try. Overall the biscuits brought up a semi-nerdy memory from reading the Lord Of The Rings when I was young. They eat like what I'd assume lembas bread from LOTR would - tough but not stale - just dense. Of course they're not magical and one bite definitely doesn't fill me up, I had to eat every last piece of this ration to get to that point!
S6.meal.drinks.jpg
Polish S6 - Drinks
The drinks were tasty. I had a raspberry juice mix and both coffee's with the meal, then had the tea later on by itself. The candies were pretty similar to many I've had before. The Alpenliebe Espressso candy was smooth and melted well, and the Dicki Vitamin C candy was very flavorful and had a chewy core. The chewing gum was spearmint - a nice close to a good meal.
Last edited by Ruleryak on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: Polish S Type Ration

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 am

S6.accessory.pack.jpg
Polish S6 - Accessory Pack
S6.accessory.pack.components.jpg
Polish S6 - Accessory Pack Components
S6.meat.closed.jpg
Polish S6 - Meat Closed
S6.meat.lid.off.jpg
Polish S6 - Meat Lid Off