Russian IRP-P ration review

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
ak70g2

Russian IRP-P ration review

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:33 am

Last week I got from our fellow Nicodim 2 russian IRP rations. Today, 'cause I wished a tea, I opened one and proceed for a review. I tried some "breakfast", waiting for the lunch to cook. So, I've opened the tray:
IMG_3508.JPG
I spreaded the content on the bed:
IMG_3510.JPG
I took each can and made pictures:
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3512.JPG
So, my breakfast:
IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG
Taste test:

Tea. Forget Lipton, forget an commercial tea blends. This is REAL, GENUINE. The true russian TEA. Drinking it, I've thinking at old russian folktales, with frozen winter nights, a samovar and some very close friends, drinking tea quietly. I wish to be more than 2 satchels. I'll gladly bribe for more of this tea.

Crackers: Thin, salty, crunchy crackers, very close of the Dutch Army crackers. Firmer and more filling than comercial counterparts.

The can: I've thought that inside I'll found some meat spread (is a smaller can, similar with Romanian commercial meat spread cans), but inside was a sort of Spam meat, a little salty but very tasty. A little lard and gellatinised meat juice, perfect to be spreaded on a cracker.

Final opinion: an unexpectedly, amazingly, excelent taste food. Definitely I wish for more.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Bypah

Re: Russian IRP-P ration review

Post by Bypah » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Nice review Adrian. :D
Are they divided in breakfast, lunch/dinner packs or is enough food for 24hrs.? :wink: :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:24 pm

I'll put tommorrow more pictures and a taste test of the energy drink.

hOMEr_jAy

Post by hOMEr_jAy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks for the photos and your insight! Russian rations are somehow still kinda mysterious and it´s nice to see that there are brave men who still try it! :D

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:33 pm

hOMEr_jAy wrote:Thanks for the photos and your insight! Russian rations are somehow still kinda mysterious and it´s nice to see that there are brave men who still try it! :D
Is not that they are misterious. :wink: they had a bad reputation but as you can see they are slowly progressing from the days of the cans of "dog food "looking mystery meats.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:31 pm

As I promise, new taste test and new pictures:
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
This is the vitaminised drink from the russian ration. Name written in Cylliric is "Adaptofit", content is 30 g, make 0.2 l of some kind of raspberry/strawberry flavored drink, similar with those found in Norwegian rations, but sweeter, much better tha those found in MREs. Very refreshing, very good drink.

Two big thimbs up for it. :mrgreen:

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Bypah wrote:
Are they divided in breakfast, lunch/dinner packs or is enough food for 24hrs.? :wink: :mrgreen:
Nope, is a single tray with all the stuff inside. I think anyone can "customize" his meals as he wish.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Great reviews and info guys! One thing I'm curious about with Russian rations: on the website http://www.reprorations.com it mentions nettle soup in the russian rations section. Just curious if the modern russian rations are designed to be supplemented with whatever can be found growing or are they intended to meet ALL nutritional needs of the soldiers? From what I've read the soviet soldiers in ww2 and the modern spetsnaz forces of course were/are trained to live off the land even more so than our own forces.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am

Tin, I think that they are intended to meet all nutritional needs of the soldiers. The amount of food is adequate for me (I'm 1.76 m tall, 96 kg weight and still done 10 miles hikes every 3 days at 34 years old), I can't find any complaints about taste and quality of food, it have even an round, small pill, I think is a multivitamin pill, I don't know how many calories have, but I think is enough for a day of patrolling. I'm glad to see that almost all food tins have some meat inside, so I think that IRPs are more oriented to proteins than MREs or chinese rations I've tried.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks ak70g2! It does not look like the idea of 24hr rationpacks caught on with the russians/soviets, unless I'm mistaken. Also looks like you did not luck out with the M&M candies that were included in that Russian rations review.