Chinese @##%@@$@ ration (u got the idea)

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
ak70g2

Chinese @##%@@$@ ration (u got the idea)

Post by ak70g2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I didn't want to cook sometheing this night, so I dig in my fresh collection of Chinese MREs and I've taken one "unknown" here. At least Lifesaver told me so :mrgreen:

So, I've taken this bag and opened:
IMG_3471.JPG
Inside I found 2 entrees, a pack with a plastic fork, some napkins and a toothpick, a small, transparent envelope and a small envelope with a red salty sauce.
IMG_3476.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG
Entrees are enclosed in 2 bags, one small, other large, with two paper heaters similar with those of FRH and a thin carboard sleeve:
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
So, I put some water in the big white bag, I rolled horizontally the entree, I've closed the bag inserting the folded part of bag in the cardboard sleeve and left it to heat.

I've opened the entree pouch and dump it into a mess tin. Inside I found some noodles with mushrooms (big pieces) and some mistery, but very tasty meat. I've spreaded some red sauce over it and started to eat.
IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
Above, second picture is a piece of meat, third a mushroom piece.

TASTE TEST: I'm not accustomed to chinese cuisine, but now I really envy the PLA soldiers. Taste is VERY GOOD, the quantity was enough for dinner (in Romania/Eastern Europe lunch is the main meal of the day). I think 3 entrees is enough for a average man doing marches or some moderate-heavy phisical work. Unfortunately, in the green bag are just 2, I din't know how much is the caloric intake for a chinese soldier. Maybe our japanese friends will inform us.

I'll eat this ration again? Definitelly YES!

PS. I'm very sorry for quality of the pictures, I didn't find some good batteries for my camera, so I can't used the flash. I hope tommorrow, when I'll try the other entree, to make better pics.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

ak70g2

Re: Chinese @##%@@$@ ration (u got the idea)

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:21 am

Part 2 of the review:

The second entree was the same as the first: noodles with mushrooms and some meat. I found some vegetable, I suppose is some spring onion or seaweed (second is most suitable). Delicious entree.

Pictures:
IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG
In the above picture, on spoon tail is a mushroom piece and next to it a meat piece. That are the average sizes of them. I use an brown MRE spoon to scale. I checked the back of the green bag and I think that is 2 entrees, weighting 280 g (0.28 kg) each and the small silver sauce pouch, 10 g.

Delicious and very filling food. I didn't eat breakfast today, I want to see how I'll manage hunger (if will be any) today.
IMG_3501.JPG

Morwin

Post by Morwin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:42 am

Great review, i really enjoy most Asian foods and wish i could come across a case or two for my own stockpile.

laughing_man

Post by laughing_man » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

Great review :!:
ak70g2 wrote:Unfortunately, in the green bag are just 2, I din't know how much is the caloric intake for a chinese soldier. Maybe our japanese friends will inform us.
Some PLA rations which I have are 1026 kcal to 1110 kcal.
East Asians tend to take in many of calories not from meat but from carbohydrate (rice and flour)...

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:27 am

Laughing man, can you translate the writing on that small silver pouch, please? I really want to know what sauce is. It was salty and had a pepper flavour, but not hot.

laughing_man

Post by laughing_man » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:53 pm

ak70g2 wrote:Laughing man, can you translate the writing on that small silver pouch, please? I really want to know what sauce is. It was salty and had a pepper flavour, but not hot.
The following is a Chinese site similar to wiki:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/750574.htm

It's the page which translated this into English:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... 750574.htm

This sauce usually seems to be hot :!:

The "red chili pepper oil to eat" similar to this sauce was a boom in Japan last year. :D