Today's Lunch - The Brit's "Beef Burger w/beans"

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
CaptBob

Today's Lunch - The Brit's "Beef Burger w/beans"

Post by CaptBob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:35 pm

I had a partially used 24-hr ration, menu F, dated "12/03" .... so I had a hankering for that "Beef Burger with beans in tomato sauce". There's not much left from that ration--some hard candies, the tin of pate, most of the tea, creamer, etc... and the packet of tissues.

So, I opened the pouch and dumped the contents in a small bowl and microwaved it for one minute.
beefburger.jpg
The beans tasted no different than ones you might find in a can. The burger was like an average-size hamburger. Very dense and without much seasoning, it vaguely resembled the taste of hamburger. Not a bad lunch along with something to drink. The lemon drink mix that comes in the ration pack mixes with a full litre of water. That's a lot of lemon drink. Frankly, I would have used just a bit less water to make the mixture taste a bit better.

Of course, when you microwave an entree, place a plate over the bowl or otherwise cover it with plastic wrap... especially if it includes beans. Beans tend to explode. My wife was reheating some homemade baked beans and she took the lazy route. The interior of our microwave looked like a Jackson Pollock painting!

More lunch reviews as I search through my stock!

kman
Site Admin

Re: Today's Lunch - The Brit's "Beef Burger w/beans"

Post by kman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Great review and pic, CaptBob - thanks for posting!

Wow...a 2003 British ration with a big ol' hunk of beef in it - that's a prime Mad Cow ration you're putting in your belly!

Just kidding...I have some of those in my collection, too...and I'll probably be sampling them soon.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 am

CPT Bob,
Hey I had one like that from a previous year, wasn't too bad I agree. What did the tomato sauce taste like? Any hint of tomato in it?

CaptBob

Post by CaptBob » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:56 am

Very light... you wouldn't think "TOMATO" when you taste it... but a very light, mild tomato base along with the other seasonings.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 am

Any suggestions on seasonings to improve the bland taste? I heard that beans are one staple of British rations and meals overseas. I do like the Brit rat packs but after hearing of British troops in Afghanistan subsiding on rations for weeks (i.e. beans in every meal) woooo....makes me wonder if that's close to torture? :shock:

CaptBob

Post by CaptBob » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:07 am

Although I never called the dish "bland" you could dress it up a bit with whatever you prefer: pepper, hot sauce, etc. Frankly, I added nothing to it and it was just fine. Of course, I haven't been subsisting on this diet for days on end.... that might change things a bit.

Stef

Post by Stef » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:23 am

That's true that in every UK ration I've tried there was on baked bean based entree!
In fact I like those beans (I just had some Heinz baked beans one hour ago for my breakfast!) but if had them fore every meal... :|
The tents/barrack where the British soldiers live must be very noisy some evenings :roll:
In principio erat spamum