British ORP No. 1

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Uncle Mike

British ORP No. 1

Post by Uncle Mike » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:48 am

Hi, not much of a review, but I opened No. 1, from a case I got from Bart at MRE Empire. I was amazed at the amount of food and extras. Everything in pristine condition and the portions were BIG. I did eat the Brownie and it was good and really big. When I go through this I will report what I find, regards, Mike
Last edited by Uncle Mike on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Mike

Re: British ORP No. 1

Post by Uncle Mike » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi, I tied the " pork sausage and beans" and the "Pindi Chana Aloo" and they are not to my taste. The beans and sausages were bland while the Pindi was smoking hot. YMMV. These are two items I would not usually eat but I wanted to try them. I will try the "Pasta and Meatballs" in the future, regards, Mike

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:07 am

Uncle Mike wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:32 pm
Hi, I tied the " pork sausage and beans" and the "Pindi Chana Aloo" and they are not to my taste. The beans and sausages were bland while the Pindi was smoking hot. YMMV. These are two items I would not usually eat but I wanted to try them. I will try the "Pasta and Meatballs" in the future, regards, Mike
Ive had the pasta and meatballs from a 1998 a few months ago, held up great, good sauce but the meatballs could use a bit more flavour. What is the Pindi taste and look like? its in 3 of the 10 menus.. Fun
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Uncle Mike

Post by Uncle Mike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:12 am

koreyyy1 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:07 am
Uncle Mike wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:32 pm
Ive had the pasta and meatballs from a 1998 a few months ago, held up great, good sauce but the meatballs could use a bit more flavour. What is the Pindi taste and look like? its in 3 of the 10 menus.. Fun
Hi, the Pindi was chick peas/garbanzo beans ,with potatoes in a chili sauce. It's a traditional Indian Chickpea Curry. It was spicy and hot, you might like it, if you like Indian food, regards, Mike

Uncle Mike

Post by Uncle Mike » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:18 pm

koreyyy1 wrote:
Hi koreyy1, you are spot on ; the meatball's are kind of bland. I also tried the Pasta Bolognese and it was much, much better. Interesting the pasta they use is "orecchiette" little ears in Italian. My late wife's family loved this stuff and it was a tradition in her town. Not uncommon in the US but not widely used. Some of the rations contain rice and the curry's are much better mixed with rice, for me. This is a purely subjective opinion but I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine. I've never really had it much, regards, Mike

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Uncle Mike wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:18 pm
koreyyy1 wrote:
Hi koreyy1, you are spot on ; the meatball's are kind of bland. I also tried the Pasta Bolognese and it was much, much better. Interesting the pasta they use is "orecchiette" little ears in Italian. My late wife's family loved this stuff and it was a tradition in her town. Not uncommon in the US but not widely used. Some of the rations contain rice and the curry's are much better mixed with rice, for me. This is a purely subjective opinion but I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine. I've never really had it much, regards, Mike
Heres my review of the 1998, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11593 The pasta type, i wouldnt even try to guess haha, i just know that i can get sachets of that pasta in an onion sauce you just add water to from the shop, pretty good taste.
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations